Friday, February 26, 2010

My daughter does not need my kidney.

If you've been reading my blog lately, you'll know that my daughter has been sick. She's going to the hospital to see the Paediatric Nephrologist on Wednesday, where they will do things like test her blood and urine... I actually don't know what else they will do. Since I don't drive, my husband will take her, and I'll sit at home worrying the whole time.

This morning, at 2am, as I held Baby B on one hip while changing the pee-soaked sheets in her crib with one hand, I was trying desperately not to wake Big B. (I think I deserve a round of applause for that one, actually -- and a new baby monitor, as I was apparently not heard hissing "I need some help!" into the monitor microphone.) I really, really want her to get all the sleep she can right now... the swelling seems a lot better when she's been well rested.

After I got Baby B cleaned, changed and back down in her fresh crib, I couldn't sleep. I just lay there thinking. Worrying. Planning. What if this is something worse? What if her kidneys have been affected? Then I sat bolt upright. "What," I thought, "if she needs a kidney?"

Sobering thought at 3 in the morning. After two hours of planning out the babysitting details for the time I'll need to give my daughter one of my kidneys, I finally fell asleep.

So, while my daughter in all likelihood does not need my kidney, she's welcome to it. But I'm gonna need some babysitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment