Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day!

Today, as you no doubt know, was Mother's Day. I got to "sleep in". What this means for me now (as opposed to the days when I didn't even think of 7:30am as sleeping in) is that I got to stay huddled in my room while listening to the chaos echoing throughout the rest of the house and forcing myself not to run out there and see what all the fuss was about.

I had been ordered by Big B to "stay in bed until the surprise is ready!" I was treated to a lovely breakfast, made by husband and Big B, consisting of toast and coffee. That girl can really spread jam. Then I was given the best card I've ever gotten: my first made-at-school card. I'm sure that every other mum of a kid in that class got the exact same card and that their hearts melted and their eyes teared up a little too.

I have to say, this year has been a little hard on me. My kids have always been (and still are) quite lovely; but this year, there has been illness, some new and hideous behaviour issues and some newly emerging sibling rivalry.

I've always gotten my mum something on Mother's Day. That's my responsibility as someone's kid. This year, however, I made her what I probably should have been giving her all along. A Thank You card. All of the encouragement, poking, prodding, fighting, pushing... it all served a very important purpose: it showed me how to be a mum. So - I thanked her for that, and I hope that someday, when my girls are all grown up and dealing with their own children, I'll get a similar card.

For now, I'm more than happy with a loofah knotted through a paper flower and a partially hand-written poem.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a nice day! I am sure your mum loved the card you made her - very sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete