Tuesday, September 21, 2010

To Trend, or Not To Trend...



I saw this the other day on Yahoo and I have to say; I just don't get it.

I could see how kids would enjoy Slinky, it walks down stairs! Alone or in pairs. That's kind of cool. And Big B actually had a pet orange (yes, the fruit) for a couple of days, so I can see the appeal of Pet Rock. Even though they have all kinds of toys, they'll often choose to play with a box for the morning. Which I also get - Pet Rock, a cardboard box, dolls that don't move on their own.. these are toys/things that involve imagination. And at least Slinky does something.

I just sat there, thinking Why on earth would someone buy that? $5.99 for some rubber bands? Really?.

However... I was looking at some pictures tonight and found one of me and some friends from grade 6. We were holding our wrists out to the camera and all of us were wearing those tacky rubber bracelets. Remember them? We loved those things, we collected them out of the machines at the mall and we were thrilled when the four of us all had the same colours.

So. I'm going to have to remember this for later, when my kid actually wants whatever ridiculous thing is going to help her fit in with her friends.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, they're just like all the bracelets we wore, except they look wrinkly when being worn!!

    I am proud to say that this is the one (and probably only) fashion trend that actually started in my city - Birmingham, Alabama.

    (sigh)

    Our claim to fame is overpriced rubber shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *grin* Well, at least now I know who to blame!

    ReplyDelete