Friday, September 17, 2010

Let's Play School!


I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but Big B LOVES kindergarten. Absolutely loves it. On her first day of senior kindergarten this year, she ran to school, chanting "I'm an SK, I'm an SK!" When her teacher (She got the same teacher as last year, and she adores him.) came through the doors, she yelled a cheer that she'd made up about him. Enthusiastic doesn't quite cover it. I love that she loves school. I've always loved school, and it makes everything easier.

Last year, when Big B started school, Baby B was only a little over one, and really had no interest. By the end of the year, she had asked a few times if she could go too. Up until now, she has only been in the classroom on parent/teacher conference day, but really enjoyed the toys. She wants to be allowed to go in. She yearns to be allowed to sit down with all those other kids and learn. One of her favourite games to play at home is "school". It's kind of funny that while some parents are dragging their kids, kicking and crying, towards the school, I've got to drag her away. And there is definitely kicking and crying.

One of the weirdest things for me when Big B started school was that there was now this big gaping hole in my day with her that I knew nothing about. I mean, I asked her every day how school was and what she'd done, but unless something really exciting had happened (like getting Geckos; I heard about that) then she usually answered "I forget." A few of the other parents were able to help out in the class, and I'll admit, I was totally jealous. I couldn't do it, because I just couldn't find anyone who could watch Baby B for a day a week while I helped out. It was especially sad on the few occasions when Big B would tell me about another parent helping out, and then look up at me and ask "Why don't you ever come to my school, Mummy?"

Anyway... this year, I really wanted to help out, even though I didn't have any childcare. So I mentioned this to her teacher, and he suggested I bring Baby B with me! Baby B is going to be over the freaking moon when she realises that yes, I am letting her get in line, and not only that, she gets to go in! I'm not sure how it'll work out yet, but he said she can just sit in and be a "junior junior kindergartener." Awesome. I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. I enjoy reading your blog
    How to Start Play School

    ReplyDelete