Saturday, October 9, 2010

Everyone's Okay, But...

When you are calling someone to tell someone that you've been in an accident, your apartment is on fire or you've been robbed, please for the love of God, start with "Everyone's okay, but..."

The exact incorrect way to begin the conversation with your wife and the mother of the two children that you've got in your back seat is "We've had a bit of an accident here.." At that point, said wife/mother might begin sobbing so loudly that she is unable to hear you continue to say that everyone is alright.

My mother-in-law was going to come and visit us this weekend; she fell on Monday and broke her arm, resulting in some surgery. Obviously, she couldn't come see us, so I packed the kids up and sent them off with my husband to visit her.

So. She lives about an hour and a half away, and I was expecting a call when they got there to tell me they'd gotten there safely. I was certainly not expecting a call to tell me that they'd had to swerve, to avoid slamming into the back of some idiot who slammed on his breaks (for no apparent reason), and run into the dividing wall of the 401.

While the idiot who caused the accident took off, some nice people stopped, checked to see if everyone was all right and called 911. The van isn't drivable and they were closer to her than home, so a very nice police officer drove them somewhere so that they could wait for a friend of hers to come and get them.

To tell the truth, I don't really want to hear anymore about it until I've hugged them all; all I need to know is that everyone is okay.

2 comments:

  1. YIKES!!! I'm so sorry - I always dread getting a phone call like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really awful - there was nothing I could do, so I ended up sitting in front of the TV with the phone in my lap all day. Everyone is completely fine - the car may be a write off, but I'll worry about that later :P

    ReplyDelete