Monday, November 22, 2010

Kinky Boots.

Or not.

I live in Canada. It gets cold here; cold and icy and slushy and gross. I kind of hate winter, actually. I like the part where I sit by a fire with hot chocolate as I look out the window at the gently falling snow and enjoy the peace; but that hardly ever happens, so yeah, I don't like winter.

Last year, I made sure that my children were both outfitted in a manner to keep them warm, dry and comfortable even in the most heinous Canadian weather. I did not, however, extend the same courtesy to myself.

I hate shopping. I hate it a lot. I do it when necessary, but I'm still wearing clothes from before Beege was born, so my definition of 'necessary' may be a little different than other peoples. So, when we went shopping last year for winter things and we came away without any boots for me, I didn't bother making myself go again. I had some old boots from my grandmother that would do fine. Throw a pair of wool socks on and some wellies would even do in a pinch.

As the weather got worse and I stood outside stamping my feet to try and keep them from freezing off, while waiting for Beege to come out of school, I deeply regretted this decision. So this year, I decided that I would get some boots.

It snowed for the first time on Saturday. I declared that not only was I going to spend some money and get actual good boots, but that I was going to do it that day.

We packed up the kids and off we went to our nearest boot and winter wear emporium. There is no good way to shop with kids. Anyone who's tried shopping with little kids for anything other than stuff for the little kids knows what I'm talking about; it's horrible. I found the boots, dragging Beege behind me, while my husband chased after Kee who had gone tearing off around the store the second her feet touched the ground. They ran around the store while I tried on boots with one hand on the back of Beege's sweater to keep her from joining the chase.

I already knew essentially what I wanted; warm, waterproof boots with good traction. I even thought I'd found some pretty ones. (Is it really too much to ask that boots be good looking and practical?) So I had a look at the sort of sleek, tan suede boots with a zipper and lacing up the side and thought I'd found them. Right beside them were a pair of big clunky, brown, frumpy looking boots. Guess which ones I bought?

*sigh* When it comes down to it, I suppose that practicality will always win with me. The pretty boots had a zipper down the side. No amount of waterproofing can waterproof a zipper. The ugly boots have waterproofing, insulation, and super grippy treads. Darn you, Canada.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry. I guess you're just going to have to become what we call a Snowbird and join us down south for Winters... lots of people do it! then you can wear all the stylish boots you want!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... I'll see what the family thinks. Not very likely, but if I'm ever in Alabama wearing some stylish boots, I'll stop by and show you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you write well. I'm right there with you.

    ReplyDelete