Thursday, November 11, 2010

Oh, What a World.

I am, admittedly, woefully out of touch. I do not tweet, I do not constantly BBM (I actually didn't know what that was until someone told me.) I don't even have a cell phone. So I'm a day behind, ya know?

Anyway. There was a book on Amazon. I'm sure that you've heard of it by now - it was a guide for pedophiles. Yep. You heard me. A man named Phillip R. Greaves II self published this book through Amazon and it was available as an e-book for the Kindle.

There has been, understandably, a whole hell of a lot of outrage. There have been cries to boycott Amazon, but also a lot of raised voices in defense of free speech.

Personally... I don't know what to think. Could someone have really published this thing seriously? This alleged "how-to" guide? This guy has apparently published three other books through Amazon - and all since October 29th.

I know that I never would have heard about this "book" if it weren't for the uproar on the net. I never would have heard of his other three "books" either. Is there a chance that this idiot did this thing to get some attention? He has said in statements that he's wanted to be a writer since he was a child and now that he's retired, hopes to do it full time. And now everyone's heard of him. Not in a good way, granted, but people have purchased books for less reason than curiosity before.

I don't think that Amazon should have allowed their platform to be used to publish this e-book. I don't. It's not censorship, they aren't a governing body, and it wouldn't have been denying this wing-nut the right to spew his garbage; they just would have been saying "you can't spew it here."

I think that Amazon should be more careful about the things they've got up for sale. I think that this potential child molester has gotten a lot more attention over this than he deserves. I think that to compare "pedosexuals" with oppressed minorities is insulting and ridiculous.

We can't control other people. We can't tell them what to say and what to think. Getting this book removed from the website was -- maybe -- a victory. But for who? Greaves got a lot of publicity. Despite the content of the book being disturbing, I'm not sure that any children were protected by removing it. People who feel like they should be allowed to f*ck children would feel the same whether they shelled out $4.95 to Amazon or not.

I haven't read it, but this person has.

And here's what someone else had to say on the topic...

2 comments:

  1. I saw that too... I agree that Amazon should be more careful! That was pretty horrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm *still* wondering how someone found this in the first place. I can't imagine that it had publicity or anything, so do people just randomly put in offensive words to find things to be outraged about? I'm pretty sure that if someone was seriously looking for such a thing, they wouldn't be the one to call attention to it.

    ReplyDelete