Friday, December 10, 2010

Oh... The Weather Outside is Frightful...

Well, not really. It's Canada, it's winter. There's a bit of snow and it's kind of cold. Don't tell me you weren't expecting this. The one thing I didn't realise (for some reason) would be a hassle was holding hands. No, I'm not being romantic; as the mother of two kids who tend to wander off and/or bolt off suddenly, I like to have a handle on them.

I think that this wasn't a problem last year because I didn't have proper gloves. Holding onto a kid wearing big thick mittens while I'm wearing big thick gloves just doesn't work, so we end up taking off one each and holding hands and having chapped hands.

And yes, I suppose I could try keeping the gloves on and trusting her not to run in the road and get squashed by oncoming traffic... but why give up holding my kid's hand when I can knit instead?

So here is my solution:


Basically a legwarmer. (My first go at cable knitting, Jen!) I'm going to make a better one; longer and lined with fleece. Now we can hold hands inside the sleeve and be all snuggly and warm, and I don't have to worry/obsess over the possibility of her darting out in front of cars.

I think I'm also going to make a couple of extras to stick in Beege's backpack so on those really windy days she can tuck one end inside her coat and pull the other over her mittens to avoid that sad little line of freezing wrist.

Take that, winter!

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing first go at cable knitting! Great job buddy!!

    Up here, the weather outside is actually frightful. Not today really, but earlier this week it just wouldn't quit. But I agree it is Canada in the winter - what do people expect? Snow isn't a surprise, but somehow it surprises everyone!

    ReplyDelete