Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tangled: A Review. Sort of.

Last year, for her birthday, I took Beege to her first ever movie in a theatre. Unfortunately, the only (possibly suitable) things playing were Planet 51 and Fantastic Mr. Fox. After letting her watch the trailers for both, she chose Mr. Fox, because "everybody keeps shooting everybody!" in Planet 51. Okay then.

I bundled her up and brought my overexcited little girl to her first ever movie. She got her very own popcorn and her very own seat. She spent the bulk of the movie burrowing into my chest and asking if the scary people were gone yet. Not the best movie selection, that.

This year, there was no question. Tangled. Disney movie about a princess. Perfect. I've never read the original Rapunzel story, but anything would be better than Mr. Fox.


I loved it! She loved it! There was no chest burrowing - although there were some exclamations and hurried hand holding. The funniest thing was that we missed the first 10 minutes or so, so we saw a different movie than everyone else.

Unlike the movie that people who got there on time saw, the movie that we saw had a few mysteries involved; who was this girl in the tower? Where had she come from? Why is her hair magic? Why is her mother so mean??

The mean mother bugged me for most of the movie. You mean Disney's been making movies with dead mothers all these years and now they finally make one with a live/present mother and she's horrible? I was so relieved when we found out that her mother was actually a lovely, soft looking person who likes to hug.

The movie was great. The story was sweet and the dialogue was snappy. The visuals were beautiful. Everything that you'd expect from a Disney movie, actually. Except for one thing. You know how you usually walk out of a Disney movie and there is at least one song that you just know is going to be stuck in your head for a week? (Hakuna Matata? Tale as Old as Time? A Whole New World? Under the Sea?... ) There weren't any of those. In fact, when I left the theatre, I wasn't even sure that there had been any songs in the movie.

So for me, parts that made a good impression: They made her 18. She could defend herself and the guy as well, thankyouverymuch! I liked that her "prince" had issues. Beautiful visuals.

Things that made a bad impression: They never got her any shoes. I really felt let down with no song to hum on my way out.

Overall, a pleasant movie going experience. And I really want her tower in the clearing as a vacation home.

When I asked Beege what her favourite part had been, she told me it was when the chameleon turned purple. Oh, and Rapunzel's dress; it's purple.

No comments:

Post a Comment