Tuesday, January 18, 2011

That's Just Gross.

Top 5 Things You Shouldn't Bother Putting in the Fridge:

1. Leftover Kraft Dinner. Please. Do not put Kraft Dinner in the fridge. No one is ever going to eat it, but you all pretend that you might so I don't just chuck it in the green bin. It's gross the day after, let alone the week after.

2. French Fries. Or anything deep fried for that matter. It's disgusting. Deep fried things are actually pretty disgusting in general, but we don't have to confront that while we're eating them -- unless we're trying to eat them after they've been cold. The grease puddles and congeals and the lovely light texture of whatever it was has now turned hard and grainy. Don't do it.

3. Salad that has dressing on it. Nothing is quite as nasty as confronting a takeout container from who knows when. It's a special surprise when that container is hiding a melty, liquidy mass of green stuff with fuzz all over it that you just know used to be a really tasty Greek salad. It usually puts me off vegetables for a few days.

4. Half finished sandwiches. No one is going to take it out and finish it. They're just not. Your intentions might be good -- sure, I don't like to waste food either -- but what's the point? No one is going to look in the fridge and say "Gee, that half soggy, half rock hard sandwich with the bite marks in it looks yummy." So just forget it. Either eat it now, or start out smaller in the first place.

5. Half full juice boxes, cans of pop or cups of various drinks. When cups of stuff fall out of the fridge as I try to juggle making lunch with keeping the toddler out of the way, it's a little annoying. Also, no one will drink a drink that's been open in the fridge for a while because it "tastes funny." Well, of course it does. It takes on the taste/smell/pong of all the other crap that you stuck in the fridge that I told you not to bother putting in there in the first place.


Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some Kraft Dinner, half full cups and rotting vegetable matter to clear out of my fridge.

2 comments:

  1. Disgusting confession: I love cold kraft dinner. Especially with cold hot dogs in it. So gross, right? Also, when I put KD in the fridge, I'm playing a silly game with myself where I think I'm not actually going to eat the whole box by myself on a single day. But I always do!

    My fridge pet peeve is with people who buy bagged salad but never eat it. And then a week and half later there is a bag of lettuce soup in the fridge. GROSS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind the cold KD so much, it's the three week old cold and *moldy* KD that I have an issue with. I play that game too, but it's usually with cake.

    And ditto on the lettuce soup. Not good.

    ReplyDelete