Thursday, January 6, 2011

Lullaby, and GOOD NIGHT!

I have, in the past, complained about my kids driving me insane. Especially at bedtime. It's been getting progressively worse.

They've had me running back and forth for about two hours a night, just trying to keep them from killing each other. As soon as one of them quiets down, the other starts up again. It sucks. Like, really sucks. As a friend so succinctly put it to me the other day, "Sometimes, you just want to punch them in the face."

I think that these bedtime shenanigans are a very big factor in the erosion of my sanity. Great, the kids are finally asleep and I've still got time to scrub the toilet and throw in a load of laundry before bed. Awesome. What does my husband look like again?

And really? This non-sleeping crap can't be doing them any good either.

I have decided that I'm just not going in there after bedtime ever again. With special dispensations for illness/vomiting/bed-wetting incidents. They can't really help those.

Last night, they were laughing and wrestling (I'm guessing, from the monitor noise) when Kee let out a wail and screamed, "Beege! You HURT me!" I sighed, pulled myself up off the couch and headed down the hall.

Just as I was going to open the door, I heard Beege say, "I'm sorry I hurt you. I just wanted you to stop pulling on my hair, that hurts ME. If you show me where it hurts, I'll kiss it better." Followed by kissing better and giggling that Beege's hair tickles. They were quiet about 10 minutes later.

So, I'm standing by my new non-interference policy at bedtime, and am trying to stand back a bit during the day as well and let them figure it out themselves.

It'd also be nice if I could get them to stop dragging all of their bedding onto the floor and sleeping in a heap like animals, but at this point, I'll just take what I can get.

1 comment:

  1. excellent post -- such an awesomely hilarious final paragraph!

    ReplyDelete