Friday, February 25, 2011

In Which I Take An Art Class.

Every once in a while, I wonder what exactly I'm going to do with myself once both of my girls are off in school all day. I don't particularly want to go back to any previous jobs, so I've got to think of something else.

I sat down and thought of the things I love to do -- not just "like" to do, but love to do -- and here's what I came up with:

I love to make up stories for my children.
I love to draw/paint/create.
I love looking at books for children with beautiful illustrations.*
I love books.

Also? I've always wanted to write a book. So, even though it's giving me palpitations to write it down, I have decided that I will make a book for children. Then I will hope that some kids like it and that I get to make some more books for children.

I was discussing this decision with my husband the other day, and telling him that in light of my solidified aspirations, maybe I should look for an art class. Or several for that matter.

Next thing I knew, Beege called me over for an art lesson.

She had set up her craft table with a piece of paper on each side, some pencils, crayons and extra paper, and she was going to teach me how to draw the pictures that she had drawn for a book that she made by herself about a fish who is a bus driver.

I did what she told me to -- although generally lovely, my instructor did get a little shirty at any attempted deviations -- and ended up with a picture of her fish, the bus driver. I even got a "Good Work"!

Hopefully, the instructor for any class I sign up for will be just as encouraging. I wouldn't mind a more comfortable chair though.



*Books like: Bob Robber and Dancing Jane, by Andrew Mathews, illustrated by Bee Willey. The Spider and The Fly, illustrated by Tony DiTerlizzi. If I Were a Lion, by Sarah Weeks. Zen Shorts, Zen Ties, and Zen Ghosts by Jon J Muth.

No comments:

Post a Comment