Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Christine's My Favourite.

I have no idea why, but I can't help watching "Sister Wives". There's just something fascinating about it. And, okay fine, it's not just the Browns; I'm also weirdly entranced with the Duggars. I mean, seriously? 19 kids? And COUNTING?? I can barely manage the two I have, some days.

I will also admit that I used to watch Jon and Kate Plus Eight. I thought it was great how they could handle eight kids and not kill each other. Of course, then their relationship blew up in a giant mess of Ed Hardy and body guards...


Then there's the Duggars. It is pretty interesting to see the episodes where they deal with how they make ends meet with all those kids. I think that part of me is waiting to see Michelle crack. She's always so calm and quiet, despite having 19 kids to look after, that I can't help thinking there's a little ticking time bomb in there. There's also the fact that Michelle has given birth to all of these children. It seems like a miracle that her body still functions. Then there's her hair. Her fascinating, horrifying hair.

But I was never quite as obsessed with either of those shows as I am with "Sister Wives". Maybe because having a bunch of kids doesn't seem quite as far removed from my life as having a bunch of wives?

The fact that these women can live together and care for the children isn't surprising. In fact, I even think it might be nice to live in a commune with a bunch of other women and their children. But then there's that whole "husband" thing. I don't think I'd want one of them around; it seems like that would just screw up the dynamic.

I don't think that I could transcend feelings of jealousy or "possessiveness" the way the Brown women seem to.

Take for instance the circumstance of being at the hospital, in labour, about to pop a baby out my nethers, while my husband is at home kissing his fiancee good-bye. I'd have a hard time not being angry about that.

Or the fact that the newest wife gets a huge, big deal wedding reception and then an 11 day honeymoon when the other wives got piddly 3 day road trips? I don't know how okay I'd be with that either.

When I got married, I got married to share my life with someone; specifically my husband. I'm not sure how I'd feel about giving someone all of myself and only getting a quarter of him in return.

So, maybe I watch it to try and understand that dynamic? Or maybe, the real reason I like it so much is that I can sit down with a bowl of popcorn after a day of breaking up fights, wrestling with snowsuits, cleaning food spatters, re-folding mysteriously unfolded laundry, and screaming children and watch it while thinking, "well, geez, at least I don't have to deal with that shit!"

2 comments:

  1. I watch the rest, but haven't gone to the Sister Wives low yet. But I know if I watched it once, I'd be hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *hangs head in shame* I can't help it. In fact, I'm going to watch it in about 43 minutes.

    ReplyDelete