Thursday, March 31, 2011

It's a Family Thing.

This morning, the girls and I sat down together and took turns making up poems, since National Poetry Month is starting tomorrow. It was actually pretty fun; we took turns picking a couple of words and then each of us got to make up a poem, making sure we used those two words.

Lunch went well, everyone got dressed (fairly) quickly and out the door with no further ado.

When we got to the playground, I turned to say hello to one of the other parents and then heard someone bellow, "EMERGENCY!" Followed by loud sobbing.

I looked around, and there was poor Beege, legs spread, arms held out from her body, looking miserable and dripping wet. I'm still not quite sure what happened.

Assessing the situation, I realised that taking the girls home and changing her clothes would probably take an hour. So, I left the girls with another mom and ran home to get her some new pants. Actually ran. (Which if you know me, is a big deal, I freaking HATE running.)

When I got back, sweating like a pig and huffing and puffing like.. well, an out of shape 30-something year old, Beege's teacher pulled me aside and told me that the meeting we'd scheduled for tomorrow will have to be re-scheduled for next week, because he can't make it.

"The meeting that you wanted to have ASAP and didn't want me to bring Kee to? Okay, so I've arranged to have someone come and watch my daughter in the middle of the day for this 10 minute meeting, and you're canceling it on me. The day before. So, I have to call my mum, who is coming from 40 minutes away and let her know that she didn't have to re-schedule her whole day after all, but thanks anyway?

Right. And Don't worry about bringing Kee, that'll be fine.

So I didn't need to get someone to watch her in the first place?

Right. Sorry, can't be helped. It's a family thing."*

I'm pretty sure he's just screwing with me at this point.



*The conversation may not have gone exactly as depicted. I may have just said "sure." Also, I might have imagined it, but it's possible that his eyes were glowing red and he was giggling as I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment