Monday, March 21, 2011

WELL, Thank God THAT'S Over.

No, really, it wasn't that bad. I refer to, of course, March Break. Which I still don't think is necessary, but what do I know?

It was much less awful than I feared it would be. Most of that fear stemmed from the fact that on Tuesday I had to take Kee to her first ever dentist appointment. Down by where my parents used to live, because I'm too lazy/anxious to look for a new dentist.

It's only an hour and a bit away on the TTC.

Yeah. So, we got up and out the door by 11:00 which, believe me, is early for us. (We're going to be in for so much fun in September, when Beege starts full day school.)

We made it to the subway, which for some reason was completely packed. I couldn't believe it. I was expecting parents/caregivers and kids on break. Nope. It was full of people in suits, on cell phones, with briefcases. Do people really not go to work until 11:00?

A lovely young girl (who I will remember fondly til the end of time) gave up her seat to us and I managed to tuck Kee in beside us in her stroller. Beege promptly began chatting up the woman next to me, who got about ten times more cheery once she was talking to Beege. Kee started singing nonsense words to the tune of "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star" and everyone around her got that "awwww, cute!" look on their faces. It went much better than expected.

Until it was time to get off. It's really great to have a seat on the TTC and all, but the problem comes when it's time to get off.

Even though it's really only about eight feet to the door, it can seem a lot farther when you've got to get a buggy and another kid across the space without losing or hurting anyone. And there were about a million people between us and the door. Packed in like sardines, we were.

I had a brief moment of panic when Beege ducked underneath/between a bunch of people and I lost sight of her, just as the doors opened. Luckily, another lovely young girl (who I will also remember fondly til the end of time) grabbed the hood of her coat and said, "wait for mommy, sweetie." I usually wouldn't want some stranger grabbing my kid, but in this case? Thank you, thank you, thank you.

So. Then we navigated through the Eaton Center to get to the streetcar. Beege got up the stairs on her own okay - yes, I know, she's five, of course she was okay - but I got the handle of Kee's stroller caught in the pocket of my jacket as I lifted her in and almost dropped her. Thank you very much, third kind stranger of the day.

After that, it was pretty much smooth sailing. I dropped Beege off at my sister's in the construction zone that is my parents old house - they're getting it ready to sell - and took Kee off to the dentist.

She loved it. She was a perfect angel and did everything asked of her with no complaint. That may have had something to do with the fact that she got to watch TV the whole time we were there; also, her sister had told her about the giant tooth full of treasure that would await a well behaved patient.

We went back to my sister's and hung out for the rest of the day, then my husband drove down and picked us up. At 7:00.

I have decided that I need to get my driver's licence.

No comments:

Post a Comment