Monday, April 11, 2011

I Don't Have Enough Room As It Is.

So. I've already admitted that I watch reality shows like "Sister Wives" and "Hoarders", I've also mentioned that I like to save where I can; of course I would have to watch a show called "Extreme Couponing".


The first woman, J'aime Kirlew is a mother of 3, who started "couponing" when her husband lost his job. I totally understand her reasoning in that case. And truly, $1,900 worth of groceries for $103 is very impressive. However, who needs 62 (and she had coupons for 77) bottles of mustard?? That would last me 35 years. 35 freaking years of mustard. (And while he was helping her clear the shelf, her husband said "I don't even eat mustard.") 60 packages of lunch meat. MEAT! Sure, freeze some, but it still doesn't keep indefinitely. Also? Apparently, she's kind of a fraud.


The second woman made more sense to me. She was the mother of a whole bunch (seven?) children and was buying things that the family would actually consume at some point. She even had these custom shelves made to hold cans that would automatically rotate the stock. Having hundreds of rolls of toilet paper seems like a bit much to me, but then again, I only have two kids. She also had stockpiles of things throughout her entire house; toilet paper under the baby's bed, laundry detergent shelved in the bedroom... is all the stocking up worth it when it takes over your home?


As I was watching, I could feel the frugal side of me perking up. Geez, I could do that! I'm fully capable of looking through the paper and finding websites that offer deals. However. When it comes right down to it, I just don't have the discipline; or the closet space. It's all well and good to buy 200 rolls of toilet paper for $2.00, but it's not worth it if I have to keep it on the kitchen counter.

Besides that, it seems that it's not even possible to save quite this extremely in Canada, for all kinds of reasons.

So, for now, I'll stick to feeling a little thrill when I get a good deal, buying certain things only when they're on sale and trying to make as many things myself as I can.

3 comments:

  1. I clip coupons, but not like those crazy ladies! There's nowhere in our apartment to put hordes of stuff. However, clipping $1 of laundry detergent coupons that are coming into the house anyway, no biggie. Remembering to bring them with me on the other hand . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love couponing - but not too crazily. I have a coupon binder, but I know full well that I won't be using most of them - only if there is a item on super sale, and I can add the coupon to the sale. Otherwise, I normally buy store brand products and they are generally cheaper than a $1 off the name brand item anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that a big part of me is irritated by the people on the show who are obviously just stockpiling because they can.. who the heck needs hundreds of bottles spaghetti sauce? Especially since it's not like most of it won't go on sale again. I mean.. get enough for a couple of months, sure, but stockpiling enough for a hundred people seems like a bit much. Last night though, I caught the last 5 minutes of another one where the guy was using the coupons, etc. to buy stuff to send overseas as care packages. That's awesome. I could see doing it to donate to a shelter - I couldn't donate much money, but if I could get $900 worth of stuff to donate to help people out, I'd totally do that.

    ReplyDelete