Thursday, May 12, 2011

The "F Bomb"; Who Cares?

Beege is such a reader now. It's almost hard to believe that this time last year she was sounding out three and four letter words and now she can read almost anything. Which is great, and I love it, but it does present a problem.

I love to read as well. I do it all the time. I often have more than one book on the go and I leave them laying around the house, bookmarked with socks and things. I love it that we can snuggle up together on the couch and read our separate books.

Recently, I went on a Sophie Kinsella binge. I got out five of her books from the library and read them one after the other. They weren't bad; although I do have to wonder why the majority of her lead female characters are flaky, lying scatterbrains who are in over their heads. Who happen to end up married to millionaires.

Anyway. One of them happened to be in "large print", which is actually great because then I can leave it open on the coffee table and still read it while I knit a sweater or something.

Of course, I may not be able to do this anymore. Beege is curious, she wants to know everything and (despite the fact that "mummy books don't have pictures!") she will read whatever is in front of her.

Which is why, when Becky Brandon (nee Bloomfield) started yelling "FUCK!" in large print and I realised that Beege was indeed hanging over my shoulder, I practically threw the book across the room.

Although, she probably didn't even notice. And if she did... well, how would she even know it was a "bad" word? She wouldn't! At least until she said it to her teacher and I got a call from the office. Besides that, she generally asks what words she doesn't recognise mean, so she'd probably say it to us first.

At which point, we'd say... what? That it's a crude word that people use to mean any number of things but which originally meant "to perform the sex act"? Because that would mean explaining sex. Which I'm not quite ready for. I mean, she knows that boys have penises, girls have vaginas and grown up women have babies. I think that's enough for the moment.

Actually, if it comes right down to it, I think I'd rather that she swore at her teacher.

At which point, I'll tell her what I believe: swearing is for people with small vocabularies and no imagination. Or comedic effect; but that's a later discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment