Friday, May 27, 2011

Lima Beans Don't Suck!

My kids are pretty used to eating whole wheat this, and healthy that. They very rarely eat white bread, and I sneak extra veggies and fiber into most baking where I can. They generally don't know the difference, and on occasion, when they've had the "healthy" (ie. my) version of something as well as the "unhealthy" (ie. store bought/mass produced)version, they seem to prefer the one I make.

Usually, when I bake things to send to school, I just make it out of a package and send it in, without bothering to up the nutrition. I'm a jerk like that. This time, when I decided I'd make cookies for the school to sell at the bake sale tomorrow, I decided I'd also fill them full of whole wheat-y, extra fiber-y goodness.

I came upon a recipe in "The Sneaky Chef to the Rescue" by Missy Chase Lapine for chocolate chip cookies that also contained... lima beans. Yes. Lima beans. I myself am not a huge fan of lima beans, so I was a little skeptical, but we decided to try it out.


So - first you've got to puree the lima beans. I had to add some water to make it really smooth. Start with a tablespoon and add slowly as needed.


"Unbelievable Chocolate Chip Cookies"

1 cup "flour blend" (1/3 cup whole wheat flour, 1/3 cup all purpose white flour, 1/3 cup wheat germ)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup oat bran (I smashed some bran flakes with a rolling pin, it worked fine.)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed (I used demerara, which is not quite the same..)
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup lima bean/butter bean puree
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Optional: 1 cup chopped walnuts or raisins. (I didn't use either, because of allergies)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and oat bran (ie. smashed cereal). In another bowl*, beat the butter and both sugars until creamy. Beat in egg, vanilla and lima bean puree. Add dry ingredients and combine. Stir in chocolate chips (and walnuts or raisins, if applicable.)

Make 2 bite cookies by dropping rounded teaspoonfuls, spaced 2 inches apart, onto non-stick or parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.

If all goes well, you end up with some cookies that look kind of like this:


Still skeptical... really? Lima beans? The girls and I tried some. They're yummy. They really are. Kee asked for seconds before she'd finished the first one.

So, the school gets some yummy, lima bean filled cookies to sell to unsuspecting children tomorrow. HA!



*The recipe, as written, calls for a mixer at this point. It would definitely make getting the butter and sugar creamy easier... but an arm and a spoon work fine too.

2 comments:

  1. They look like delicious cookies, but I remain skeptical ;) . . . says the girl who posted a recipe for lowfat berry banana bread on her own blog. Heehee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tasha, seriously.. give it a shot, they're delicious!
    The texture isn't quite what you'd expect from a chocolate chip cookie... a little more crumbly than usual. I think they would have been smoother had I used regular brown sugar.

    You wanna talk banana bread? At this point, mine has yams, zucchini, bran, flax, wheat germ... and next time? Lima beans.

    ReplyDelete