Thursday, June 9, 2011

What's In A Name?


You know how people name boats, and guitars and things? Well, I know a surprising amount of people who name their computers. Which, really, shouldn't surprise me all that much considering the people I know. I'm a little disappointed though, because I thought it was kind of quirky that I name mine. Apparently I'm perfectly normal.

I haven't come up with a name for the new kid yet.

I've got a laptop called Penelope (which is, incidentally, what I used to call my husband in university - only, pronounced "Pee-na-lope" - and he still married me!) and my netbook's name is Nerdlinger.

I forget quite when Penelope got her name, but she was certainly named for the guy who gave her to me. Nerdlinger was Nerdlinger right out of the box with no explanation. For some reason, for the new kid, no names are coming to me.

Perhaps if I think about its qualities, something will present itself as the perfect name.

Okay... it's pretty slick. The interface is very pretty. It's super light (I can't wait to get an e-book reader on there!). I don't actually have anything on it yet, except for a web browser and photo booth, so I haven't done much with it. I did sit down last night to do my blog post* on it, but it was nearly impossible.

For starters, there's auto correct. Please, for heaven's sake, stop capitalising my email address. Really. I know that's a proper name, but it's an email address! You're supposed to be smart! Stop it!

Also, I can't seem to remember passwords. They're in my hands, not my brain, and if I have to keep switching between letters, numbers and special characters I need to be reprogrammed. Which could take a while.

Once I finally got into my blog, I tried to type on the "keyboard." It wasn't good. I'm a typist who rests on the home keys. I'm very comfortable with that. I am speedy and accurate. I can't rest my fingers on a touch screen - even though for some perverse reason they've marked the home keys. I ended up typing a lot of "dasfjh" which auto correct would turn into "daschund", which is a lovely word, but not the one I wanted.

After about half an hour of the frustrating exercise of getting on a roll just to be derailed by contemplating the bizarre auto correct corrections, I gave up. It has turned me into a two-finger typist, which will just not do. I think, for now, I'm going to have to stick to the full sized keyboard to do any actual typing.

Basically, I'm a little old lady who has gotten used to doing things a certain way, and when you change those things on me, I can't find my email.

Maybe I'll call it Bob.



*For anyone who's counting, yes, I did miss a day. However, I figure if I manage two today, I can call it even.

2 comments:

  1. That ipad keyboard can be a killer, can't it? I'm with you, mess with my usual mojo and I'm lost. Good thing Angry Birds is awesome on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. I think I might cave and get a keyboard. Ha! I'm definitely looking forward to getting Angry Birds on there.

    ReplyDelete