Friday, June 10, 2011

When I Grow Up...

I want to be a chef. No, really. Not a professional chef, but I would like to be able to look in my fridge and come up with something tasty made of what I see in there. Maybe have some variety on the shopping list, that kind of thing.

Of course, it's a little difficult with the kids, because, being kids, they will eat macaroni and cheese. And sometimes pizza. And every once in a while, just for fun, one will eat something while the other won't, and then they switch. It's a little aggravating.

It's not that they won't eat healthy(ish) food; they love my lima bean cookies, and they prefer whole wheat to white, but there is no variety.

The worst thing about their complete lack of adventure is that it seems like there's no real point in cooking anything better. So all of us end up eating crap. It's disheartening, and it's making us overweight and unhealthy.

So. Over the summer, I'm going to try and get these girls to eat something better. We're going to go to the farmer's market and I'm going to let them pick out the ingredients and recipes. We're going to eat better, whether they like it or not.

Eventually, maybe we can go from Kraft dinner to something a little more elegant.


No comments:

Post a Comment