Monday, July 11, 2011

A Review.

On Saturday night, I was actually able to leave the house without my entire family dragging along behind me. I went downtown (a rare enough occurrence, I assure you) and saw a show with my mum.

We saw a performance by "After Hours". They're an acapella group that a friend of mine from high school formed. They've been around for a while now, in one form or another*, but I've never had the chance to see them in their current iteration.

The music ranged from "Simon and Garfunkel" to "Sesame Street", with some comedy thrown in between songs. The show ran from 7:30 'til 10:00 with one 15 minute intermission; for me, a bit too long.

The first half was great, the songs leading into one another quite well. The second half lagged a bit and it felt like they could have lost a few songs (the cover of Iron & Wine's "Flightless Bird" song from the Twilight movie is one that I would've been glad not to hear.) and strengthened the show.

All in all, it was pretty good. I especially enjoyed their versions of "One Fine Day" by The Chiffons, and "Hey There Delilah" by the Plain White T's. And, I have to admit, I came away with a bit of a crush on Luke Hobbs. I'm a sucker for a snappy dresser. Also? he can sound like an electric guitar.

In short, fun was had by all.




*Though none of the current members is an original founder, they've been around for 15 years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment