Saturday, August 13, 2011

Adventures in Quinoa.

So far, I'm not doing very well in my vegetarianism quest.

Like, yesterday I ate a steak.

I am making progress though, because the whole time I was eating it, I was thinking I'd rather have a nice piece of salmon. Which, I know, still isn't quite vegetarian, but I feel like it's a step in the right direction.

Anyway, meat guilt aside, I have been trying out some new foods!

First in line, quinoa. The health benefits of this tiny grain are pretty remarkable, and I've been meaning to try it for a while, but just never got around to it; that whole cooking two separate meals thing. Which, by the way, I've discovered is not actually that hard. It just makes more dishes. Although... I hate doing dishes with the passionate fire of a thousand suns... so we'll see.

Working from the picture on the box (which I figured must taste good or they wouldn't have put it on the box) I decided I'd make a quinoa salad for my first attempt.


While you can just boil it in water, I chose to use half water and half broth* with a quartered clove of garlic thrown in for good measure. (It came out tasting pretty good already, and I'd even serve it on it's own as a side dish.)



I didn't have too many veggies in the house and had to settle for just cucumber and red pepper. I chopped the pepper and cucumber and tossed them with some salad dressing (virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard powder, basil, and a dash of paprika.)


Add the cooled quinoa and toss it all together and it comes out looking something like this:


Throw it on a plate with some baby spinach and a salmon fillet, and you've got supper!

Apparently, it's also pretty tasty with some sugar and cinnamon, a la oatmeal. I'll let you know. Hmm... I wonder if I can put it in cookies?




*In the interest of full disclosure, I used chicken broth. I know, totally contrary to the point, but it was all I had. Next time, I'll be using veggie broth since I've got some in the house now. It's an adjustment period, give me a break!

4 comments:

  1. quinoa is actually pretty awesome. It's a regular in Mat's and my diet... it tastes better than rice to me, and mat's not a big pasta person.. so quinoa fits quite nicely. I have tons that I bought on sale at Costco... lemme know if you want some more :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only me who'll eat it right now, because apparently, it "looks like bugs". So I'll let you know when I get through the bag I've got. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PRETTY!! It really looks delicious. I love Cous Cous - does it taste like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, Rachel, I don't know if I've ever had cous-cous... so, maybe? I'll have to try it and let you know!

    ReplyDelete