Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Naked Lunch.

So far, this school lunch thing has been a bit of a pain in the ass.

Day 1:
I packed: Painstakingly made-with-my-own-hands ravioli, carrots, grapes, apple juice and two lima bean cookies.

She ate: Carrots, cookies and two raviolis. She said they didn't taste as good after she emptied the packet of salt and pepper onto them. (Note to self: Do not pack leftover take-out utensil packages that contain salt and pepper.)


Day 2:
I packed: A cheese sandwich, strawberries, carrots, a granola bar, apple juice.

She ate: Everything but the sandwich, which she took apart and then put into the boxes from the strawberries and carrots. Why? I don't know. She didn't appear to either.


Day 3:
I packed: Tortellini (frozen, thankyouverymuch), carrots, apple slices, granola bar and apple juice.

She ate: Who knows? She lost her -- less than a week old -- Tinkerbell lunch bag.


Day 4:
I packed: Half a cheese sandwich, carrots, two lima bean cookies, grapes, apple juice. In a giant Ziploc bag, clearly labeled with her name, her teacher's name and her classroom. Which made her cry, because she didn't WANT to bring her lunch in a PLASTIC BAG.

She ate: Every last thing. She also found her lunch bag and I'm pretty sure she's going to keep a closer eye on it, considering how traumatic the whole Ziploc bag thing was.

(Tinkerbell's return also answered the question of what she'd eaten the day before: granola bar and apple juice.)




Apparently it could've been worse; one of her teachers from last year was telling me about a kid* in her class this year. On Tuesday, he lost his water bottle. On Wednesday, he lost his lunch bag. On Thursday, he lost his pants.

Yeah.





*This kid.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. Lima Bean cookies?? I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're basically chocolate chip cookies, but with lima beans, wheat germ, bran... you know, good stuff that usually makes kids gag. :) They're tasty, I swear!

    ReplyDelete