Monday, November 28, 2011

It's Just The Way The Cookies Crumble.

Apparently*, it takes about 21 days to make something a habit. I would propose that this is only correct when we're talking about BAD habits. Or perhaps, habits that don't really take any effort.

I walked 5k every single day for over a month, and I was feeling great about it. I was feeling better, sleeping better, and I even managed to lose a few pounds.

All it took was a few days of unpleasant weather** to completely kill that habit.

Today, I went for a twenty minute walk around the neighbourhood; I'll be kind and call it about 1.5k. By the time I got home, my legs felt like noodles. It's only been a few weeks since my last big walk, and already I'm practically back to my old state of general sluggishness.

What is it about eating right and exercise that are so hard to do? I know that I will feel good. I know that I will look better. I know that I will be able to chase after the kids without huffing and puffing after ten minutes.

So WHY can't I resist the siren call of a bag of cookies? What is it about me that makes me ignore what I KNOW, and flop down on the couch?

How do you stay motivated, when it's so easy to just slowly let your ass expand and so hard to turn the process around?

I really don't know. I was hoping that you might; any ideas?




*According to some scientific research that I couldn't actually find; but it's quoted lots of places.
**Coupled with Kee's unpleasant reaction to being stuffed in her stroller and pushed around through unpleasant weather.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. I HATE exercise, no matter HOW LONG I do it. Runner's High is something that I will never experience.

    ReplyDelete