Friday, November 18, 2011

The Upside of Anger.

Kee has not been easy to get along with lately. She's been extremely touchy, and likely to scream at you for everything. If I touch her with a fingertip, she yells that I'm hurting her.* The simplest request can be met with a fifteen minute defiant tirade.

She is also doing things to purposely piss me off.

I will ask her not to climb up the back of the couch (for the eight hundredth time) and she will stop for a moment, smile at me and then go right on climbing. I'll ask her not to jump off the coffee table. Grin. Jump.

I'm a little lost here, because no consequences seem to have an effect. The only thing I can come up with is to haul her to her room, and really, that's more for my sanity than because I think it will have any impact on her behaviour.

Half the time, she's back in there five minutes after I let her out again. Sometimes she doesn't even make it out of the room before she gets another time out.

There is an upside though. In the past couple of weeks, I have finished knitting a scarf, crocheting a lap rug, made a couple of stuffed toys for the girls and sewn a pair of little pajamas** for Spud.***

All while she's been in her room for misbehaving.

If she keeps it up, I'll be done with all the Christmas presents before the end of November.




*I wouldn't let go of her hand while we were waiting to pick up Beege one day, so she screamed at the top of her lungs, "Mummy! You're KILLING me!" Awesome, right?
**I was actually pretty impressed with these, so I'm going to post a tutorial sometime soon.
***"Spud" being the name I've bestowed upon my lovely new nephew.

2 comments:

  1. There must be something in the air. I'm thinking a weekend at an orphanage over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or prison. Is there a prison for three year olds?

    ReplyDelete