Friday, November 4, 2011

When you are writing, do you prefer to use a pen or a computer?

Today, being entirely stumped for a topic, due to busy day syndrome, I bow to the "Prompt of the Day". So:

When you are writing, do you prefer to use a pen or a computer?

The preferred method of getting my words down really depends on what it is I'm writing.

For my blog, the computer wins, hands down. It's also got to be a desk top computer, with a proper keyboard and everything. I tried blogging on my iPad, and it SUCKED.

There's something about blogging that feels wrong on paper. I have written entries down on paper when I wasn't able to get to a computer and felt that I might lose it otherwise, but it felt weird. Like writing an essay or something... it's just not as organic. Half the time I don't know what I'm going to write when I sit down to do it, so the extra step of writing it on paper in the first place bogs me down a bit.

There certainly are times when I like to sit down with a pen and write. Mostly when whatever the idea is has stemmed from a picture in my head - because then, of course, I also need to draw. There are times when a computer just isn't tactile enough.

I occasionally write poems. I prefer to use pen then too. I like the scribbling and fiddling and having my entire thought process there in front of me.

So, the answer, I suppose is both.


Speaking of no segue, last week Kee told me that she "loves me more than poop." Just wanted to share that.

3 comments:

  1. I love you more than poop, too. And I really mean that. Especially when that poop is in the form of poopy buttprints on the crib sheet. I definitely love you more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use paper for middle-of-the-nights notes and grocery lists. Being a fast (though inaccurate)typist is much better for my process as I can get a bunch of ideas down quickly and organize later. I wonder what tomorrow's prompt will be? Do you think it will involve poo? I'm so ready for a poo blog. It's been a while. (;

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rachel: Aww, thanks! I love you more than poop too! Especially poop floating in bathwater.

    @Marianne: If the prompt is about poop - I'm SO covered.

    ReplyDelete