Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bacon.

Everything is better with bacon on it.

For example, when I got stuck with making the yams for Christmas dinner this year, I thought, "great. No one ever eats the yams, and I'm going to be stuck with buckets of leftovers." Upon further consideration, I decided that there were usually a couple of issues with the yams.

First of all, everyone (in my family, anyway) always pours in a bunch of maple syrup, which makes it too sweet. Then there's the fact that they tend to mash/whip them until they look like diarrhea.

So. I cubed and boiled them until they were a little soft. While this was happening, I sauteed some diced onion in a bit of butter, and cooked some maple smoked bacon. (See what I did there? They get their freaking maple, but BACON.) Crumble/shred/chop/whatever the bacon once it's crispy. Throw it all in a casserole dish (or in my case, tin foil lasagna pan) and bake, covered, at about 350F for 15 minutes. Toss together, add more bacon if you feel like, and throw in the oven again, uncovered for 15 more minutes.

The result? Super yummy yams that I didn't have to bring home again. Although, they were super yummy, so I wouldn't have minded if they'd left me a little bit. Like locusts, my family.

Back to bacon. Today, I got out a healthyish freezer meal for my lunch. Then, I happened to see bacon sitting in the fridge. Bacon sandwich it is. I put the healthyish thing back in the freezer, and threw some bread in the toaster while I made Kee her sandwich.

Only, I didn't put the healthy thing in the freezer, I put it in the microwave. I did notice that the microwave was going, but I thought that it was my Magic Bag(TM, probably) so I left it. When I opened the microwave and realised I'd made toast for a sandwich and the sesame chicken freezer thing?

I continued to make myself two lunches.

Yeah, I suppose I could have put one or the other of those things in the fridge to save for dinner, but that would mean remembering that it was there so that I didn't end up throwing it out in a couple of days. And I really don't have all that much faith in my memory right now.

Besides, bacon.

Incidentally, I found my Magic bag. It was in the fridge.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you had a blog until I just saw your comment on WBofMothers. It didn't show on your profile. I'm mostly vegetarian but when I was pregnant with my second boy I was invited to a smorgasbord breakfast at a resort (first and last time at one) where I ignored all the pastries and piled a plate high with bacon...mmmm, I could have lived on bacon and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm.. I'll have to see if I can fix that - didn't realise. Welcome! :)

      I've tried to be vegetarian every once in a while, but I tend to cave and eat a hamburger. Willpower is definitely not my strongest attribute.

      Delete