Friday, January 13, 2012

Happy De-Lurker Day!

Rachel says that it's Lurker Appreciation day, and just like last year, if she hadn't said it I wouldn't have known. Apparently, it happens every year around this time.

Most bloggers really do appreciate hearing from their readers; I certainly do. I appreciate every single one of you, even if you never say anything to me. It does make for a very one-sided conversation though, so if you have ever had an urge to make a comment, ask a question, or even just say "hi!", today is the day!

Of course, last year, the bulk of my post was about dog poop, and those who don't pick it up when they should. Which is still a problem. But I already wrote about that, so I won't bore you with it again.

Instead, I shall tell you the tale of my bathroom sink. Which is definitely much more interesting. I think.

**************

Beege fools around in the bathroom. I'm sure I'm not the only mum of a first grader who has had to stand outside the room, tapping her foot and reminding her kid what she's supposed to be doing every five seconds, but Beege is especially talented.

She likes to fill the sink and play with the bath toys when she should be washing her hands. She wastes time tying toilet paper into her hair, when she should really be concentrating on getting off the toilet. Last night, she draped toilet paper everywhere and then came out to ask for a cotton ball to check if her "experiment*" would work.

Anyway. After her experiment was cleaned up and she was once again involved in the task at hand (namely, pulling her pants up and washing her hands), I was somewhat irritated when I heard the sink filling up.

BEEGE! Wash your hands!
I AM!
I went in and, instead of the My Little Pony pool party I was expecting, she was indeed washing her hands. The sink, despite its lack of drain plug, was not draining.

It was making that sickening "glug... glug" noise.

After the girls were in bed, I took it upon myself to try and clean out the drain. Because slow drains freak me out a little. I always assume that there's something living in them.

Armed with a rubber glove, some shish kebab skewers and a flashlight, I set about clearing the drain. Oh. my. god.

I still have no idea what that stuff even was. All I know was it was black, it was rank and it was coating gobs and gobs of hair. HAIR! I am insisting that we put some sort of toxic chemical crap down the drain to melt anything else that might be waiting in there.

I'm still grossed out.

The sink looks so shiny and harmless, sitting there, sparkling at me benignly. But I know the truth. I saw the animal it was trying to grow in the drain.

All of a sudden, I feel like I'm on that "How Clean is Your House" show, where the nice British ladies come in and show you all the ways your house is trying to kill you. Germs are everywhere.

Kim and Aggie, of "How Clean is Your House?"

On the bright side, this incident has inspired me to bleach every surface in my house and dump toxic chemicals down every drain. My house will likely be the cleanest is has ever been. Nothing like a disgusting mass of unidentifiable goop to get your started on your spring cleaning early.

(Oh - here are some cleaning tips from the lovely British ladies themselves, in case you too think your house is disgusting!)



*I'm still not sure I understand what she was trying to find out, but it involved throwing the cotton ball at this thing to try and make it fall on that thing which would make something else do something else.

4 comments:

  1. you should have seen the mass of disgustingness the plumber dug out of our drain here.. and for some reason, the fact that it was the previous owners hair, and not my own.. *seriously* grossed me out. I couldn't shower for days just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost took pictures. I really could not imagine how all that stuff had come to be in the sink. I mean... hair...bath tub drain... sure, makes sense. But the sink?!
    Lucky for you, I was up to my elbows in it and didn't think to ask the husband to get the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be curious to see it :oP

    between your hair, and beege's hair, I'm sure you could do some real damage to a drain. You should get one of those lil sink strainery thingers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. I saw a "shower bug" the other day - in the kitchen!! I haven't seen one of those in years. Drains ick me out.

    ReplyDelete