Monday, January 30, 2012

I'm Coming Out!

It's about time, really. I mean, it's hard, living with a secret. So here it is:


Hi. My name is Skwishee, and I'm ... a blogger.


When I started writing this blog, I didn't tell anyone -- not even my husband. He was playing a show while working a full time job, so he was never home. The girls were 1 and 3, we were stuck in our tiny apartment all day, and it was hard.

I wasn't very happy.

I started writing as a way to reach out without bothering anyone; a way to feel like someone was listening without having to admit to my family that I felt like a complete failure. A place to vent -- anonymously.

We still live in a tiny apartment, my kids still wear me out (although, in new and interesting ways), and I still come to this space to vent a little; but now, it's much more than that. It's a place I can go to be creative, share an idea, or just tell a funny story.

It's something I'm proud of.

And so, the next time I'm on the phone with my mum and she says, "You know what you should do? You should write a BLOG!", instead of mumbling incoherently, maybe I'll say, "Well, actually..."

19 comments:

  1. If you are going to have a SECRET blog, it should be about your marital affairs or your secret communist plots, don't you think?

    This one seems so pleasant and well-written. I'd have "that conversation" with the fam, I think. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol - too true. Sadly, I haven't got anything that interesting going on, so dirty diapers it is!

      Thank you. :)

      Delete
  2. Welcome to the light! So happy you're here. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog is a delight and you should be proud to share it! I always enjoy stopping by for a visit :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool to do something secret just for you for as long as you did. I love your blog, you're really you on it so it's warm and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I herby give you the MOV award for Excellence in Blogging.

    Keep it up!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, you've been going for a while in secret. i hope you feel lighter having come out now. it's sometimes hard to explain the blogging side of life to those who don't do it.

    (don't feel obligated to click, but i drew this little cartoon a while ago to sum up my feelings about it)

    just followed you here from a comment on another blog i think it was, and just could relate a bit to your words here, so i thought i'd say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you did start it. Even in secret - and sometimes I think that's even better because there's less pressure and your friends and family aren't analyzing your every word....

    You want to know a secret? I also started writing in secret - but only my husband knew and not a single other soul that I personally knew, knew about my 'secret' life.

    So I guess I can relate with you on this and we both see how therapeutic blogging is.... It's lovely here and I'm so glad to have 'met' you ;)

    For some reason this song is popping to my head as I write this....
    "in my secret life"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpzCiyt_uHM
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have "met" you too! You've already inspired me to put tulips on this weeks grocery list. :)

      Delete
  8. It took me a LONG time to admit puclicly to having a blog. Especially at first, because I started out by writing a "healthy living blog", which honestly? Was embarrassing. I mean...I posted pictures of my breakfast. I like OTHER healthy living blogs, but my own was pretty lame. As my blog grew and matured - and as I found my voice as a writer - I've found myself much more open about my blogging. Sometimes I fret a bit and am still kind of embarrassed, but it's freeing to be open about stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any "healthy living" anything I've started has only lasted about five days, so I'm pretty glad I didn't go that route. I *love* Clay Baboons...(and not only because we're eerily alike) I really want some plasticine now though. :)

      Delete
  9. Definitely share it!! Although your Mum may be steaming mad that you're just now telling her about all of these delightful stories about her Grandchildren...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh... don't worry, she gets all of those first hand. :)

      Delete