Thursday, February 23, 2012

Dammit, Castle.

When I was a kid, all the good TV started at 8:00. So, being a kid, I didn't always get to stay up to watch the good TV. Which, you know, sucked.

I said to myself, "when I am a grown up, I will get to watch the good TV, because I will get to go to bed whenever I want." Going to bed whenever you want is one of the major perks of being a grown up, you know.

Except it's not.

Because after you're finished with school, you usually have to get a job or something. And maybe you decide to have some kids. The job people, and the kid people, expect you to get up in the morning and do things for them.

So now I'm a full fledged grown up and, theoretically, I can watch whatever I want. Except for one thing: the TV people have gone and moved all the "good TV" to past my bedtime.

Castle, Pan Am, Revenge, Parenthood, new episodes of Storage Wars*? All begin at 10:00pm.

Which means that I go to bed at 11:00. However, once you factor in the usual bedtime things -- tooth brushing, using the bathroom, making sure the lights are all off, barricading the door, using the bathroom again -- it's almost 12:00. And then Kee gets into my bed at 6:30, or so**. That leaves me with (approximately) six and a half hours of sleep.

Which, at one point would have been more than enough.

But now that I'm a grown up... I find myself falling asleep at 4:00 in the afternoon if I stay up that late. Which is sad, really, but beside the point.

So I have two choices: skip the shows and get to bed at a reasonable hour so that I can wake up refreshed and ready to face the day, or stay up to watch my shows, dammit.

I wonder if the girls will let me have a nap today?




*I know. Don't judge me.
**This morning, she crawled into my bed for a snuggle. She looked deep into my eyes, put her hand on my cheek and said, "Mummy, your skin feels yucky." Then she stole my blanket and yelled at me when I suggested it was time to get up. Good morning!

6 comments:

  1. ha ha ~ a dilemma most moms face for sure ;)
    I don't even bother with catching up with the tv - we download shows - netflix would be good I guess. And then catch up with a few episodes over the weekend.
    Otherwise I'd feel so bad and being grown up actually sucks! ;D
    - thanks for the smiles while reading this. ;P
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Netflix! If we didn't have that, I wouldn't have seen any movies from the past few years. :) You know - maybe I should just watch less TV? ;)

      Delete
  2. If you can deal with the wait, you can catch all of those online the next day, at any time you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to give that a try - of course then the problem is when to watch them? My kids *should* both be in bed by eight, but more often than not it's closer to nine.
      I think I may just have to give up!

      Delete
  3. Bahaha! I laughed out loud at the disclaimers at the end. Your daughter's comment made me think of this story on The Woven Moments: http://www.thewovenmoments.com/2011/12/parenting-stinks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that it's not just me - and that my breath is probably okay. :)

      (Thanks for pointing me at a good blog!)

      Delete