Monday, February 27, 2012

In Which I Make Chicken Noodle Stuff.

I think that part of the problem with this "eating healthy" thing is my kids.

They do eat healthy food, it's just an extremely limited menu; there are only about six meals that they'll both eat. Sadly, there is a whole world of vegetables they're missing out on.

I'm not going to fight with them. I know that there is absolutely no point, because I can't make them eat and they'll probably come around on their own eventually. So, in the meantime, by the time I've finished making their bland, boring, lunch/supper/whatever, I'm really hungry and I'll just eat whatever is easiest.

Which brings me to my revelation: the first step to healthy eating (for me, anyway) is to remember to start making whatever it is far enough in advance that it will be ready to eat at a meal time.

Today I actually managed it; I got a chicken breast out of the freezer to bake an hour before lunch time. Then I didn't even have to do anything for another forty-five minutes! At that point, it was time to find some vegetables. Here's what I came up with:

Clockwise from top left: spinach, onion, carrots, red pepper, mushrooms.
Not shown: kind of gross looking leftover spaghetini noodles.

In a small frying pan, put in a bit of olive oil (about half a tablespoon-ish) with the onions and meat. (Did I forget to mention you should chop up the cooked chicken? Well, you should.) Add some basil, garlic, a pinch of parsley and a few dashes of balsamic vinegar. Saute until the onions are translucent.

I only used half the chicken, because it was just for me. Also, now I've got a chicken sandwich planned for lunch tomorrow!

Add everything but the spinach.

Once your veggies have softened up a bit, add the spinach.

Wonder if you've got enough room in the pan and curse the idiot who told you to use a small pan*.

Breathe a sigh of relief as the spinach cooks down to a more manageable size. Stir to combine.

Now is the time to add your noodles. Or rice. Or whatever starchy kind of thing you've got hanging around in your fridge that would be yummy. Curse your tiny pan again, and try to fold the noodles in without throwing half of it on the floor. Heat noodles through.

Throw it on a plate** and enjoy! (I put a bit of parmesan on mine for extra yumminess.)


*You may actually want to use a medium sized pan.
**Just so you know, this is a salad plate. I really don't eat plates of pasta as big as my head. Although, it was a lot of food. I'm quite full.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm totally impressed. And it looks quite delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, it was sooo good! I love veggies and I haven't been getting as many as I'd like because of the veggie haters at my house... I missed them!

      Delete
  2. That looks soooo nice (not sure about the poison chaser though...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh... That is my favorite coffee mug - usually, if I'm drinking coffee, that's about how I feel. Just water today though. I've actually been able to avoid coffee for a whole week now - believe me, that's a record for me since the girls came along. :)

      Delete