Friday, February 10, 2012

Isn't It Romantic?

Here's the thing. I'm just not good at capital "R" Romance. You know, the kissy faced, "I wuv you more" "no I wuv you more" kind of romance that usually shoves itself in your face around this time of year. It makes me cringe and gag at the same time.

My idea of "romance" is kind of different.

The year that I was pregnant with Kee, Beege was two. Do you want to know what my husband gave me for Valentine's day? He took the day off work. That is the nicest present I have ever gotten. I will always remember him sitting on the floor with Beege making valentine's cards, with pink sparkly heart stickers stuck all over him, while I sat on the couch holding back puke and wondering if the baby was trying to kill me. THAT was romantic.

The year before we got married, we spent our Valentine's evening in Kinko's photocopying our wedding invitations until one in the morning. Then we went to the all night diner across the street and had "breakfast". THAT was romantic.

That he usually brings me coffee when he gets one for himself; that he lets me sleep in on the weekends; that he rubs my back when I've had a bad day; that he reads to me before bed to help me fall asleep; that he'll run out to get groceries after tucking the girls into bed because we're out of their goldfish crackers... to me, it's those things that are romantic.

That is why, even though my mum and dad (who are the best) are taking the kids for the weekend, and despite it being the weekend before our thirteenth anniversary*, we have no big plans.

We are going to wander aimlessly, eat at places we've never tried, snuggle in front of a movie, and hold hands as we walk through a bookstore. Because to me, THAT is romantic.

Come get 'em Mum, they're all packed.


*Not our wedding anniversary -- that's in May -- I make him celebrate the anniversary of when we started dating because 1. I like presents and 2. he hates Valentine's day (it's commercial, etc.) so I'd miss out on all the chocolate otherwise.

9 comments:

  1. "We are going to wander aimlessly, eat at places we've never tried, snuggle in front of a movie, and hold hands as we walk through a bookstore. Because to me, THAT is romantic."

    I think this idea of romance runs in the family. Holding hands as we walked through a video store was how I met my wife =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, definitely runs in the family. Our first date was hanging out in a fido store for 45 minutes so that we could both change our phone plans to include long distance.. since we were at the time and then snuggling and watching the princess bride. For me, romance is just spending (quality) time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Dad treats me as though he thinks I am wonderful even when I'm not. We once got each other the same Valentines card (a funny one). He is always my best friend. THAT is romantic. We never do anything much for Valentine's Day either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the same thing my husband and I do when we get away. We have gone to nice hotels and done nothing but watch one movie, eat at restaurants, shop together and chat uninterrupted. Delicious. The rest of it (flowers, chocolate, frou frou) I can live without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice just spending time together when you don't have to worry about anything else. :)

      Delete
  5. Your idea of romance is very similar to mine. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your husband should have a blog and tell other husbands how to be romantic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'll suggest it and see what he says.

      Delete