Tuesday, February 14, 2012

That Doesn't Mean You Shouldn't Get Me Chocolate.

I know I said that I wasn't big on "Romance", but that doesn't mean that I don't like Valentine's day. Or, for that matter, that I wouldn't like some chocolate. And maybe something pretty.

It's amazing to me, the amount of venom that I've heard in people's voices as they say "I hate Valentine's day."

I've heard a few different reasons. People say that they don't like being told by "the greeting card companies" that they should celebrate loved ones on any particular day, and others say that we should celebrate our loved ones every day, not just once a year. True and true. But -- unless you're religious -- how is it any different than Christmas?

Or birthdays? Or thanksgiving? Or any other holiday that has you spending time with your family, and giving gifts or cards?

There are also those who say that Valentine's day is so focused on couples that it makes those without a significant other feel alone. For starters, there are many kinds of love; start your own tradition and go out to dinner with some friends. Invite some people over and have a movie night in. There's no reason to feel more alone on this night than any other.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just a day to celebrate friendship and love; and what could be wrong with that?

In the end, it's just one day. Whether you love it or hate it, I hope you have a good one.

Inspired by Ella at Lifeologia's post a few weeks ago, I finally got myself some yellow tulips!

6 comments:

  1. Yes there is different kinds of love.... ;)
    Happy Valentine's Day.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same! I didn't want anything big- I don't need an industry to tell me when to love up on someone/vice versa, but a little thought is nice! Currently? My cats are eating my roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I mean, why should you *not* do something, just because everyone else is? Plus, I *like* presents, dammit!

      Delete
  3. I agree with you...it's just a day. A day specifically to eat chocolate. I love flowers too! But I'm not interested in going out to dinner in crowded overpriced restaurants on V Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should just start calling it "Chocolate Day" and get right to the point.
      I did want to go out to dinner originally, but then I thought we should go to lunch instead because it would be less crowded, but THEN I thought "why not just stay home and watch a movie in our pajamas with some takeout?" I'm a total genius.

      Delete