Sunday, February 26, 2012

What I Did Today: Rainbow Granny Circle Squares


Today, during my "hiding in my room time" (which was sorely needed, because the kids were watching a movie about a stupid talking dog) I decided to start a blanket. I found this great tutorial for granny squares with a circular center, through Erin's post at House on Hill Road.

The only thing that I've done differently is crochet a row of single crochet around the edge after I finish each square (with four sc at the corners). It helps beef up the edges a bit, and define the corners. It'll also mean that I get a thicker line between the colours when I attach the squares later.

It' s going to be incredibly bright and cheerful, and it's going to take me for-freaking-ever.

9 comments:

  1. I am in awe. You have skillz, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep seeing these granny square blankets on pinterest, and I *really* want to make one, but my ability to finish a project quickly is what has made me stick with crocheting.. I'm scared to start one, because I may just decide not to bother half way through. I'm good at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's actually the nice thing about a granny square blanket; the constituent parts are quick.

      So you just sit down and make a few every once in a while when you've got time. Keep them all in a project box. Every once in a while, you take them out and count them, and then, eventually you've got enough for a blanket!

      Delete
    2. hmm. that's a better way to think about it

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I love the colours. I've always been interested in knitting, but it's so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't go wrong with a rainbow! :)

      This is actually crochet - a lot of people find it much easier than knitting because you've only got one loop to worry about and one stick to hold. Surprisingly easy - I only took it up last month.

      Delete
  4. It will be beautiful and you have my share of patience.

    ReplyDelete