Monday, March 12, 2012

I Liked Some Books; You Might Like Them Too.

Last weekend, when my husband took the kids away, I managed to get to the library. Not only that, but I managed to read the books!





First up: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?,
by Mindy Kaling.

I loved it. Not only is she hilarious (you've seen The Office, right?), but before she got all famous, she used to be a huge nerd who did everything her parents told her, which gives me hope.

The book is a series of essays on a wide variety of topics, including: What Mindy thinks makes a great best friend, what she thinks makes a great guy and what is the perfect amount of fame. They are well written, and the perfect length to sneak away, read, and be back before your children realise you're gone and start killing each other.




Next: This Cake Is For The Party, Stories by Sarah Selecky.

This book of ten short stories was a finalist for the Scotiabank Giller Prize and the Commonwealth Prize for Best First Book in Canada and the Carribean. (I have to admit that I had never heard of it and picked it up on my way past the rack because it had "cake" in the title. I have a very sophisticated method of selection.) Each story focuses on a relationship in the moment that it changes forever.

I am glad that I picked it up because she is an excellent writer; her characters complex and realistic. An interesting read, although I gotta say, I found it a little depressing.




Last, but certainly not least: When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead.

While this book was written for 8-12 year olds, I'd recommend it to anyone. The book is about a sixth grade girl named Miranda who recieves a note one day that changes her life.

" I am coming to save your friend's life, and my own. I ask two favors. First, you must write me a letter. "

As the story continues, Miranda believes more and more that she is the only one able to prevent a tragic death. The story, while at it's heart is about changing friendships, centers around an intricate mystery with a very satisfying conclusion.



So, how about you? Read any good books lately?

8 comments:

  1. I just love blogger book reviews! I am going to have to reserve the cake one right away at the library. The description gave me goosebumps! Thank you for these little gems!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love short stories, so I'm adding the second one to my huge to read list. I love nerds, so I might add the first one as well. The third I'll recommend to my oldest - it sounds like something she'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might want to give that last one a try too. I know it's technically a children's book, but my husband, my sister-in-law, and I all really enjoyed it. (Plus, it's a quick read, so even if you end up not liking it, not much time lost.) :)

      Delete
  3. I like short stories also. Your review makes me want to go out and get the books as soon as I finish the one by my bedside. Great reviews Skwishee.
    He he 'the perfect length to sneak away, read, and be back before your children realise you're gone and start killing each other.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound very interesting - I need to hit the library soon (haven't done that in ages). (they don't have the starbucks there ;)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the library - free books that I don't have to find space for! (Also, there's a Starbucks right next door ;)

      Delete