Monday, March 19, 2012

Unexpected Peace.

For some reason, I tend to dread school holidays. Especially the ones that last a week or more. We don't go anywhere fancy, and generally my husband doesn't take time off to hang out with us. So we're stuck in the house because Mummy hasn't managed to get her driver's license yet and can't imagine taking these little heathens anywhere that requires a long transit ride.

This year... the March Break was great. Really. (I didn't expect that either.) Usually, it's too yucky to play outside, and they end up releasing their pent up energy on each other (and the furniture), while I follow behind them pleading with them to stop. (Which is rather ineffective, and I wouldn't recommend the technique to anyone.)

I planned absolutely nothing.

And it went great. We built a fort, we watched some movies, we had a dance party and did some crafts. The weather was amazing, so we got to play outside. Kee even went to stay with my mum for a couple of nights so that Beege and I could have a Mummy-Beege day all to ourselves, where she got to pick whatever she wanted to do. She picked the library and Wendy's for lunch; I love that kid.


My absolute favourite moment from the March Break.

And now, before we've even gotten completely sick of each other, it's back to school.

Of course, I did spend yesterday in bed, sweating and trying not to throw up, so they could have been totally horrible for the last day.

But as far as I'm concerned - complete success!

6 comments:

  1. that does sound nice! I dread those weeks too, so it is good when they go well! What an adorable picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always braced for the worst during extended periods of forced togetherness. A bit pessimistic, I guess... it's usually not as bad as I thought it would be. Usually.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It really was! We had blankets and pillows and books... they even let me have a little nap in there.

      Delete
  3. Ohhhhh - I miss making sheet cubbies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something magic about a fort. I really want my own tree house. Inevitably, though, I'll have to let my kids in.

      Delete