Monday, June 18, 2012

Red Delicious.

So. Remember a while ago, I was complaining about some small animal or other getting into my strawberry plants? This is an ongoing thing with me. I actually planted them last year; when we did not get a single berry. Every. Single. Time. The animals would get there first.

Well, I decided that I wasn't going to take it anymore.

Armed with a hand saw, some old bed slats, and some chicken wire, I constructed a cage for them. I even lined the bottom with chicken wire so that the little digging bastards wouldn't be able to get them that way.

They're my freaking strawberries, and I'm going to bloody well eat some.

Super gorgeous strawberry cage.


This is usually the last I would see of any strawberries.
They made it in the house!

And even though we've only had about 15 strawberries, and even though they're only about the size of a dime, I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I just wish that whatever it is that was doing it hadn't decided to move on to my lavender.



5 comments:

  1. Excellent solution Skwishee!!

    I blame squirrels - they're evil little bastards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! Cage is a great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you went to that much trouble for 15 strawberries. That'll teach that Nasty Woodland Creature!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of hoping that there will be more!

      Delete