Monday, June 25, 2012

Summertime, and the Livin' is Easy.

About this time of year, the conversation among the parents waiting after school mainly focuses on one thing: "What are your plans for summer?"

While the answers vary, the thing that usually doesn't is the fact that the kids are scheduled right up until September. Whether it's summer camps, classes, or trips to Australia; the kids are scheduled.

Except in my house.

We are not scheduled at all. We have a list of things that we'd like to do (make ice cream, go to a movie, build a fort, sleepover at Grandma's...) but nothing set in concrete, and nothing with a date attached. Whenever anyone asks me what we're doing (and looks horrified that we're pretty much doing nothing) I mumble something about missing the deadlines to sign up for things.

I'll tell you a secret. I didn't want to sign them up for anything.

We spent the whole school year rushing around, packing and unpacking the backpack, making lunches, braiding hair, finding lost shoes, and being late; I wanted to relax. I wanted a sleep-in option. I want to be able to decide that it's a perfect day for a picnic, or maybe to spend the day watching Disney movies and painting our toenails.

We are going to take it easy. Isn't that what summer is for?

We're going to be doing a lot of this.


10 comments:

  1. The no plan-plan is always my favourite! Why attach so much pressure and deadlines to vacation? I'm already stressed enough as it is, I don't want to be stressed on my time off! I think your summer sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! This is a philosophy that I also plan to subscribe to as much as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to get there. I do. But I don't know how.

    xoxo Addicted to Over-scheduling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh... but your children will be violin prodigies, while mine will just be dirty. ;)

      Delete
  4. I find myself mumbling about the same things. I love having the kids home, the impromptu picnics in the yard, wild projects or adventures downtown. I have secret fears that they will be behind all of their peers in the fall who spent their summers at various educational camps. But then I find that when we get back, they are well-rested and ready to get back to school. Enjoy your unscheduled summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, I've got those fears too, but there's a lot to be said for lazy afternoons watching bugs.

      (Also, Beege loves to read, and has already asked for a math workbook so that she'll be ready for grade two!)

      Delete
  5. I planned many a lazy summer. They are very, very nice. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES. I completely agree. We had nothing but one week of Vacation Bible School, and it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep to the lack of routine. I do always like to try something new or go somewhere new when I have a break - spontaneously.

    ReplyDelete