Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Brave: A Review.

When we saw the trailer for Disney Pixar's "Brave" at our house, we were very excited. We like princesses in general (Especially now that they've stopped making them so freaking passive; Tangled and The Princess and the Frog are among our favourites), but this red-haired princess with a bow seemed especially interesting.


We went to the movie last Wednesday, and I had every intention of writing a review that night, but I was having trouble.

Brave is the story of a teenaged princess who is tough, self possessed, and a little wild. She, being a princess, is going to be forced to marry one of the princes competing for her hand, to continue the peace among the clans in her kingdom. Unsurprisingly, she is not the least bit interested in doing so. Her mother, Elinor, wants her to see that she must think of the good of the kingdom, and Merida wants her mother to see that she is too young to get married; especially to someone she doesn't even know. Determined to forge her own path, Merida decides to change her fate, and must rely on her bravery and archery skills to undo the chaos that follows.

It is Pixar, so there are still moments that will make you cry, and it is definitely visually stunning but, for me at least, there isn't a satisfactory resolution; the story feels unfinished.

Which is, I realised, what my problem was. From the studio that gave us "Up", "Finding Nemo", "Wall-E", and "Toy Story", "Brave" seems a little lacklustre, story-wise.

 It is a great movie to take the kids to (although if there is a particular fear of bears, be warned that there are scary bear scenes) and we really liked it, but don't expect to be blown away.





8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review - we're going Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll like it - aside from all the mother/daughter stuff, there's enough action to keep your boys entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't have wee ones but we love Pixar and were still planning to see this in the theater. I think we'll probably wait for DVD though. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved it - the story is thin, but the animation is SPECTACULAR, the princess is spunky and defiant but learns (as most teenagers do eventually) that she has to think about the ramifications of her actions in the context of the larger world. That is a good lesson, I think :)
    And those bears really are scary. I think that the granddaughter's comment "I want to buy it" gives me an idea for her birthday or Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I keep going back and forth about taking Ali. I think we'd do better to wait until we can watch it at home and fast forward if need be. (She hates scary parts)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Des is far too young to go to a movie, but the hubby and I went and loved it. I thought it felt a bit.. unfinished? yes, there is a conclusion, but it just felt a bit too rushed almost. Lacking a bit considering it's pixar, but still pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't seen it yet, but my son is almost 17 and not into animated quite as much. I however love anything Pixar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really liked it! We went with 5 boys and they were all mesmerized!

    ReplyDelete