Monday, July 23, 2012

It's Worth a Shot.

With no school to organise our days around, I have to admit that things have gotten a little lax around here. Beds are not being made, children are not getting dressed, and things are generally a shambles. I was having to chase them down and nag them to do things all day -- which sucks for everyone.

As a family we decided that it was time to do something about it. We all agreed that there are certain things the girls should be doing for themselves without even being asked; especially since Kee will be starting Kindergarten in September (EEeeeeeee!!*).

We decided to make a chore chart. 

As an avid Pinterest surfer, I am aware that there are all kinds of fancy chore charts floating around. However, the fact that I don't have a printer, combined with the fact that I didn't really want to spend any money on it, meant that I didn't want to make any of them.

Instead, I came up with this:

12 x 12 scrapbook paper, Card stock, Markers, Self Adhesive hooks,
Cardboard for the backing


It's not super fancy, but it does that job, and was easy to make. The girls helped decide what it would look like -- they each picked their own papers and markers -- and that got them involved in the process, which I've always found makes them more likely to do what I'm asking.

Each of them has their own side and the cards we're not using hang in the middle.


Anyway. The premise is simple. The chores are written on the cards, and the cards get hung on the hooks when that particular chore needs to be done. Once the chore is completed, they get a big green check mark hung over top of it.

Now when they ask if they can do something like play on the computer, I ask them "do you have all your check marks?" and they go look at the board. If they haven't got them, they go finish what they're missing, so that they can do whatever it was they wanted to do.

And so far? It's working!

I probably shouldn't have written that.




*I'm part "Ohmygod, my baby's gone!" *sniffle*, and part "Ohmygod, my baby's gone!" *highfive random stranger*.

8 comments:

  1. My boys would have made their own green ticks and put them on top...your girls are so nice. I...want...one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beege is thoroughly honest and wouldn't dream of cheating the system. Kee, on the other hand, was just putting check marks on everything all the time because it "looks nicer". She's getting with the program now.

      Delete
  2. That looks lovely! And I love the idea of the hooks. I FEEL like my kids would destroy it within a week, but maybe I'll give it a shot and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yeah... that's why I wouldn't let Beege hang it in their room. (And if they DO destroy it, you'll feel better that you made it out of stuff that was laying around the house.)

      Delete
  3. Very pretty! I hope that it keeps working for you! I laughed out loud at your "highfive random strangers" bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. CUTE!! I need some more organization like that in our lives. And my kid desperately needs to clean her bedroom.

    ReplyDelete