Monday, July 16, 2012

A Quilt of my Own.

For a long time now, I've been in love with quilts. I love to look at them, I love to wrap up in them, I love to tuck my children up under them. I have not, however, made one.*
 
I finally decided to just dig into my stash and give it a try. 

My first attempt. (I'm allergic to ready-made patterns.)

It turned out pretty well, and encouraged me to commit to trying a larger project. Then last week, I went into Fabricland and found that the store in my neighbourhood is closing. Which is incredibly sad for me, because there is nowhere else within walking distance to buy fabric. On the plus side, almost everything is 60% off! It's fate; I am destined to make at least one quilt.

Then I went back the next day for more fabric.

And one more time a couple of days after that. This time, however, I let the girls each pick a couple of fabrics themselves to make something. (Mostly to keep them busy while I had a look around).

They took it very seriously. They chose their fabric, then dragged their bolts of fabric through the store in little wheeled baskets. I thought I was going to die from cuteness when Kee struggled hers onto the counter and said "half a meter of each, please!"

On the way home, I asked them what they were going to make; or rather, what they'd like me to make them. "I'm going to make a quilt!" said Beege. "All by myself!" Alrighty.

So, that night, I helped her cut some squares and start sewing. We sat together for an hour, listening to Jack Johnson, and stitching squares together. At the end of our evening, I asked her how she liked it. "You mean this quilting business?" she asked. "Well, I really wanted to like it because you like it, and we could do it together. But, Mummy? It's really boring."

So, instead of Beege making a lap quilt (that was going to be a "surprise" for me, apparently), we would scale down the project. We ended up making a quilt for her teddy bear, "Sweetie-Honey".

Sweetie-Honey, enjoying her new quilt.

She had already sewn about as much as she could handle (without dying from boredom), so I told her I would finish it up for her.

 
At least I got some practice with doing the binding!
So, she found that she hates hand sewing, and I learned how to bind a quilt; a learning experience for everyone. I've already started on a full-sized project for myself, which may take forever since I'm doing it by hand.

(Tell me honestly, is that nuts?)




*I did make one for my friends' wedding, about eleven years ago, but I was relegated to fabric selection and cutting, and my mum did most of the actual work. Thanks again, Mum!

14 comments:

  1. How fun! You're a better mom than I - I have no seamstress skills at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'd be a better seamstress if I could get my dang machine to work the way it's supposed to - I do everything by hand and it takes forEVER!

      Also? You take your kids on adventures where they get to see fireworks and sleep in closets; you're an excellent mum. :)

      Delete
  2. It really is nuts-if I was hand sewing NOTHING would ever get done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I know that *YOU* think I'm nuts. :P

      Delete
    2. I'm with mum... if I had to do it by hand, I just..wouldn't. I think you got all the patience in the family :P

      Delete
  3. Your binding looks great!!

    I'd love to hand sew a quilt one day. It does sound a bit nuts but what a treasure you'll have at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it exactly - it's for me and my husband, and it will be something that I spent a lot of time on and put a lot of love into. I don't think that's all *that* nuts.

      Delete
  4. "Well, I really wanted to like it because you like it, and we could do it together. But, Mummy? It's really boring."

    This is where *I* died from cuteness. What a sweet sweet girl you have!!!! LOVE THIS!!!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is pretty awesome. :) And even if we don't find anything that we both like soon (I feel the same way about Pokemon that she feels about quilting), we'll always have Iron Chef.

      Delete
  5. I have to buy all my quilts at TJ Maxx. Even the one for Sweetie-Honey seems ridiculously complicated.

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilting? Ahhhh! - OMG are you crazy? I'm totally in awe of you, I thought only saints had the patience to do that...and knit...and paint with oils...and make lace...and all those other things that take more than one day to complete.
    So beautiful Skwishee, a mother daughter project. I tried to get my boys interested in knitting (so they could finish the jumper I started knitting twenty years ago for their father).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be a teeny bit crazy - especially since I do those other things you mention too. (Except the lace, but that sounds interesting...)

      Ha! And did they ever finish the jumper??

      Delete
    2. No. It lies in state in our vine and spider wed covered caravan like Sleeping Beauty in her castle...

      Delete