Monday, August 13, 2012

Overheard While Doing Dishes

Beege: That's a great picture Kee!
Kee: *grunt*
Beege: No really! I like the symmetry.
Kee: I didn't draw any simmy trees.
Vitruvian Man - Leonardo Da Vinci
Beege: Ha ha ha. No, silly. Not "simmy trees", SYMMETRY. Now what, you may be wondering, is symmetry?
Kee: Okay, what's a sim-a-tree?
Beege: Well, Kee. Symmetry is when two things look the same on both sides. The middle is called the "line of symmetry".
Kee: Okay.
Beege: A lot of things have lines of symmetry. Take you, for example. You have a line of symmetry. It goes right down your whole body.
Kee: ...
Beege: Really! You have two eyes, two ears, two arms, two legs, and there's a line all the way down the middle!
Kee: But I don't have two bums! Or belly buttons!

For some reason, that was really upsetting, and yelling ensued. On the upside, if we ever decide to homeschool, maybe Beege can handle the lessons.

11 comments:

  1. i can totally see Kee's face, and know exactly what tone of voice she used when she said "I didn't DRAW any simmy trees"

    think, teenage girl.. and a wrinkled nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my Kee; I can't wait to see what fourteen is like.

      Delete
  2. Love it! "The Simmy Tree" needs to be a picture book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get on it! Uhm... are we thinking... math story?

      Delete
  3. Way to go Beege!! Complimenting the symmetry and being able to explain the concept is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She just loves knowing things. Better yet, she loves understanding things. :)

      Delete
  4. Um. I have boys. They're single. Beege sounds like she'd be the perfect future daughter-in-law. Have you considered the cello for her?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She hasn't been near a cello yet, but she did take piano lessons for a little bit.

      I'll make sure she learns how to sew on a button before I send her your way. ;)

      Delete
  5. Trying to explain things to kids is always entertaining, and I have to agree with Marylin, that would make a great learning book!

    www.sarcasticbuttrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Bibby!

      I'll work on the book thing... my daughter will tell me if I'm getting things right. ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow - I'm impressed! She's a smart one.

    (off to wake Ali up and teach her about symmetry)

    ReplyDelete