Thursday, August 2, 2012

Super Easy Teriyaki Tofu

 Lately, I've been experimenting with some new things, cooking-wise. Tofu, for instance.

When I use tofu, it's usually "dessert" tofu. I like to put it in smoothies or use it instead of yogurt in some recipes. I have used regular "main course" type tofu before*, but it's been a long time, so I decided to give it another go.

I'm pleased to say that it went surprisingly well.


So, on to the recipe part:

Super Easy Teriyaki Tofu
(Makes 2 generous servings)

Red peppers are camera shy.
 Bottled Teriyaki sauce (I used VH)
1/2 a package of extra firm tofu, sliced
1-2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
10-15 baby carrots, thinly sliced (or one or two big ones)
1/4 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
1/4 red pepper, thinly sliced (notice a theme?)
Small head of broccoli, separated
1/2 can miniature/baby corn
2-3 baby bok choi (is that the plural of bok choi?)
A couple of handfuls of small button mushrooms
A bit of chicken or vegetable stock (optional)
A little bit of flour (if you're going to use the stock)
I'm pretty sure my husband got that corn for the "M'Lord"
1/4 (or so) package of Vermicelli rice noodles
Soy Sauce (optional)

1. Marinate the tofu overnight in the teriyaki sauce. (This is a very important step, considering tofu doesn't really taste like anything left to it's own devices.)
2. In a small pan, (the next day), fry the tofu in a bit of vegetable oil. Check it every once in a while and turn it over now and then.
3. Put a bit of vegetable oil in a frying pan. When it's hot, add the garlic, onion, carrots, celery and broccoli.
4. Put a pot of water on to boil for the noodles.
5. After a few minutes, Add the bok choi and mushrooms. Add in the chicken stock and flour (or corn starch - if using starch, either mix it with a little bit of cold water, or right into your stock if it's been refrigerated, before you add it to the pan.) You may also want to add a bit of teriyaki sauce to the mix at this point (especially if you've opted not to use the stock). These only need to cook for a few minutes, as you don't want your veggies to be soggy.
6. Now would be the time to cook the noodles. They only take three or four minutes once they're in the water. Add a bit of soy sauce to the water for some extra flavour for the noodles.
7. Seriously, the noodles cook fast. Drain and place in bowls. Place some Tofu and veggies on top. Sit down, stir it up, and eat. Yum!


Yummy. I know the tofu looks a little burned - it was more like "caramelized".




*I tried to make a curried tofu dish. It was disgusting and that, along with the rubbery floppy kind you get sometimes in Chinese food, totally put me off the stuff.

5 comments:

  1. I think the plural of bok choi is bok choi. Kind of like fish - you can have one fish, or many fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. Bok chois sounds really wrong.

      Delete
  2. Wow - looks super yummy! I love tofu so I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete