Thursday, September 13, 2012

Firsts and Lasts.

Friday September seventh was my baby's very first day of school.

My last baby, to be exact. The baby that I didn't know would necessarily be my last baby. It seems though, that without some major changes to current conditions, she will be.

And she's not a baby anymore.

She was so happy to go. SO happy. She's been ready to go to school for some time now. She packed her own snack in the morning (a mini cucumber and a graham cracker), she picked out her own clothes and dressed herself, and she let me put her hair in pigtails for the first time ever. She wanted "big girl hair".

As we waited to get in line, she bobbed up and down, waving hello at all the other kids. She smiled and chatted, and proudly showed off her new backpack. When the big door opened, she disappeared inside without a backwards glance.

I know that that means I've prepared her, and that she was ready, and that she knew without a doubt that I would be there waiting when the door opened again. But still.

There is no Mummy there. No Daddy. She doesn't have to share her class with her sister. It is all hers.

But you know what? I don't even really have time to miss her. "Free time" my butt.

10 comments:

  1. Wow. Can you send her over to tutor my boys on how to take care of things on their own? Congrats on your new "free time." Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a very recent development. It's like all of a sudden, all my yelling "if you make a mess, you clean it up!", "take responsibility for your own things, or I'll give them to some kid who will!", and "for godsakes, if you're going to treat me like the maid, you're going to have to PAY ME!" has finally paid off. Maybe you just need to yell louder?

      Heh. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. So sweet. The things they can do on their own when they are so small...

    Enjoy your few minutes between trips to school!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so happy. She wanted to do everything herself because she's a big kid now - I'm totally okay with that. Next I'm going to introduce her to the joys of laundry folding.

      Thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. What a milestone. Congrats to you and your growing babe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all misty reading this- huge milestone met and met well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait'll you see her next, it will seem like she's taller.

      Delete
  5. How fun! So...what are you doing with all of your free time? ;)

    ReplyDelete