Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Shoes. Or a Lack Thereof.

Who was it who started this thing where kids need all new stuff at the beginning of every school year? Who? Because I would really like to punch them.

I am one of those people who follows rules. Even unspoken ones. Even when they seem kind of stupid. I do what I am supposed to do. I'm trying to become a little bit less of one of those people; especially when it comes to my kids.

Because here's the thing. Just because it's September doesn't mean that clothes that fit my kids perfectly fine last week will disintegrate. Sure, they're not pristine anymore; but they fit and they like them. THEY -- the people who will be wearing said clothes -- could not care less that they are not new.

So. This year, I decided to go through their drawers and see what they actually needed before doing any shopping. 

Perfectly good clothing.
Two giant bags for Goodwill later, the answer was nothing. Absolutely nothing. So I got them some new socks and underwear, and that was it.

As Beege marched off to class, with last year's scuffed and worn indoor shoes in her raggedy backpack*, I felt a little weird. She's only been going to school for three years, but every one of those years has included a shopping trip for new clothes.

Because that's just what you do.

Well, not anymore. I will not be getting them whole new wardrobes, just because it's September.  If the shoes fit, they will wear them.




*Although, it looks like she'll be getting a brand new backpack, courtesy of Rebecca at Playground Confidential. Thanks, Rebecca!


10 comments:

  1. I am so with you on this. My kids both hit a huge growth spurt in October, if I bought them "back to school clothes" they would outgrow them all in a month. School supplies, though... that's another story. I love school supply shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get sick of school supplies. Or office supplies. Art supplies are my favourite. I love to stand in the stores and look at all the neat rows of bottles and papers, and imagine all the things I could be making/doing with them.

      At this age though, they don't actually require any supplies for school, so that's not even part of the "back to school" shopping. I wouldn't mind that part :]

      Delete
  2. Bravo mama! Hopefully I'll be able to do the same when my baby is bigger. Although, judging from her growth rates, I may not have a choice unless I want to send her to school in capris that were formerly full pants. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kee has several pairs of pants just like that! And don't worry, the growing slows down a wee bit once they're past the first couple of years. Until puberty, of course. Then you've got a whole different set of clothing issues. :P

      Delete
  3. Good for you!! I need to employ some of these tactics for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My closet and dresser are targeted for next week, once I've got my mornings to myself. :)

      Delete
  4. Sent my kids off to their first day with last year's backpacks, clothes, lunch bags & shoes.

    I'm wating for the Dept. of Child Services to appear in 3...2...1...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good on ya! :)

      That's what it feels like though, doesn't it? Like if we don't send them off all shiny and sparkly and new, then we're doing something wrong. I'm squashing the feeling. Because it's ridiculous. We should start a movement: Everyone save your money for violins! ;]

      Delete
  5. What a wise woman you are!! I have to say, I love new, fresh, kid clothes so much that this would be hard for me. However, that is offset by the fact that we homeschool and therefore do school in our pajamas. Therefore, no new clothes here, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. I think it's more me than them, at this point. But I know there will probably come a time when they want to have new clothes for the beginning of school because all their friends do. Then we'll have a nice lesson on budgeting.

      School in pajamas. I like your style. ;)

      Delete