Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Two Hours.

I once spent thirteen hours sitting on my couch reading a book*. I suppose I got up once or twice to get a snack, or go to the bathroom**, but on the whole, I just sat. It wasn't that odd, when I did it. It was a weekend. This was before Husband; there were no children. I had one dish in the sink, and nothing to do but kill time.

Now?

Every once in a while, the Husband takes the girls to visit his mum. Which generally gives me a day and half to myself. Inevitably, most of those days are spent laundering, tidying, sorting, culling... I don't really consider them my own.

But this year, Kee started kindergarten. It's only a half day, but still! Two hours that I didn't have before suddenly dropped in my lap.

I had big plans for those two hours.

In my head, I tackled an area a day. This closet today, that shelf tomorrow... my house would be turned into a stunning example of organisation and cleanliness. I would finally be able to invite someone over for coffee without running through the house shoving things under couches, behind my bed, or into the oven***.

I catalogued the mess in my head. I divided it into what I thought were reasonable two hour type jobs. I was organised. I had a plan.

Since Kee started school, two weeks ago, I have tackled exactly one job. The front hall. And I can't even feel overly good about it; my Grandma's dog wandered downstairs and peed all over everything, so I kind of had to.

I have the best intentions, really. I walk to school with the girls, resolute that today will be the day that I march right home and start in on the slowly multiplying piles of papers scattered around the living room. Today will be the day that I finally reach the bottom of the kitchen sink.

But then someone starts talking, and I answer, and before you know it, we're on a walk around the neighbourhood. And once I've been on the walk, I need a shower. And once I've had a shower, I sort of need a cup of tea. And once I've had my cup of tea, there's not enough time to tackle that job, so I may as well read some of my book.

You see how it goes.

At least I'm getting some exercise?





*It was Memoirs of a Geisha, in case you're wondering.
**I may have brought the book with me.  
***If you ever come to my house, do not look in these places. Forget I mentioned them. Thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Ah....I relate. My grand home-improvement ambitions have yet to see the light of day. Welcome to the club! If it helps, there's liquor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the real problem is figuring that I have to do it alone. I'm going to see if I can train me up a little army (can 2 be an army?)of cleaning/culling machines. It's unlikely, but I'll stick it on the list under "clean toilet". (Which I finally did yesterday, so I have hope.)

      It's too bad she's at school in the morning - I don't feel quite right cracking a Mike's at 9:00 in the morning. :\

      Delete
  2. Read your book and go for your walk and drink your tea. So much more productive in the long run than all that organizing.

    ReplyDelete