Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Oh, Look! It's Almost Christmas!

I hate how that happens. One day, you're singing a happy tune because the kids are finally back at school, and the next - BOOM! Christmas.

I've at least started working on presents. Which puts me ahead. But I promised the girls we'd make all our cards. Which puts me behind. And we've still got mice. Which makes me crazy.

The other day, my husband had to run out to the grocery store. He got in the car and started driving. While waiting at a stop light, he noticed a clump of leaves on the windshield and started the wipers. Then stared into the eyes of the little brown mouse clinging to it for dear life. Startled, he stopped the wipers and considered his options. Then he started the wipers again. The mouse stubbornly clung on.

When he got to the store, the mouse ran down under the hood. Husband was pretty sure that it had disembarked at the store, and our problems were solved. Because of course, it's only one mouse, right? A genius mouse that drags away snap-traps, and considers glue traps a buffet.

But no. Unsurprisingly, I still hear them. More than one, I'm sure, unless as well as being a genius, it's a ventriloquist. Which would be interesting.

We did catch one a few days ago. My grandma called me at around lunch time to let me know, and I asked in my wimpy-scaredy-cat voice if we needed to get rid of it right away or if we could wait til Husband was home. We both decided we'd wait.

I was curious about this genius mouse though, and decided to go have a look.

I opened the cupboard and saw a (not tiny!) mouse laying on the sticky paper. He looked sleek, and clean, and well cared for. I almost felt bad, until he sort of heaved and lunged at me. At which point, I screamed and slammed the cupboard. Because I am a huge wimp. Husband had to "take care of it" when he got home. I plugged my ears and squealed when he tried to tell me about it, so I can't really tell you what that means.

I know in my heart though, that that was not the mouse. This little guy had the misfortune of being sent out to scout. The genius himself would never venture out of the wall. Because he's a genius.

8 comments:

  1. You have given me the heebie-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanna meet your genius mouse. He sounds like a pretty interesting fella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see if he's available for a game of chess.

      Delete
  3. EEP. I have mouse chills! Sounds like you're dealing with an evil genius there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's really no other explanation, is there? :\

      Delete
  4. I was reading this to my husband from my phone the other day, and it had me freaking out on so many levels! We have both had the mouse eyes staring back at us before, but the lunging at you from a cupboard...heart stopping! Although I am sorry that you are dealing with these mousy masterminds...I loved the way you told the story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara! That's really nice to hear :)

      (You know - the story telling part, not the similar suffering part.)

      Delete