Thursday, December 6, 2012

Of Mice and Birthdays.

The other day, my husband came home from work and found a dead mouse hanging out of the ceiling. For some reason, I thought it would be a good idea to go look at it, before he got rid of it. Something about knowing where to look to avoid mice falling on my head.

I have never been so grossed out in my life. And I don't even know why. The poor thing (much as I hate them, I still feel bad for them) was hanging out of the air vent, as though it had tried to jump and gotten it's tail caught on something. In other words, it didn't really look very dead, suspended there.

I freaked right the frick out. I got the shakes, and I just could not get warm. I kept crying and mumbling nonsense. I kept wondering how long the thing had been there. Had it been hanging over my head while I cooked dinner? When did it die? Had it been watching me? While I made myself a cup of tea? While I did the dishes? Had it been there all freaking day?

I'm trying to pretend it didn't happen, but I can't seem to talk about anything else.

Okay, here's something non-mouse related: It's Beege's birthday! My tiny baby is seven years old today. Which makes me so happy and so sad. She was the most wonderful baby, and she's grown into a totally amazing little girl. She makes me proud every day, even when she's not at her best; and let's face it, seven year olds can be jerks.

In celebration of her birthday, she has requested blueberry muffins and homemade pizza for supper, followed by a trip back to school for movie night. Madagascar 3. Apparently it's hilarious. And not about mice, so I'll be fine.




13 comments:

  1. This is the most horrifying thing I've ever read. I am shaking and crying for you. I would have duct tape on all the vents, right after I finished falling over dead. happy birthday to your kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did suggest the duct tape thing. It didn't happen. Something about air circulation. Ugh. I still shiver when I think about it.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday Beege! And the trauma of this post has caused me to grab a blanket for extra warmth and comfort. You don't suppose there is a mouse hidden in it, do you????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, geez, Marianne. I think there are mice hiding in everything. I thump on cupboards before I open them, I shake out towels and blankets, I turn boots and shoes upside down before I'll put them anywhere near my feet... I'm one step away from wearing rubber gloves all day.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this is such a sad story about the mouse. I find myself looking up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to get a crick in my neck from staring up at the ceiling all the time. :\ I should sue for pain and suffering.

      Delete
  4. I wonder if the mouse spit his last spit into your teacup...

    Oh, that wasn't very helpful, was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it, Rachel! Now I'm going to have to bleach all the dishes! :[

      Delete
  5. Omg. I would have puked. Seriously. OMG OMG OMG....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once accidentally starved a mouse to death in a humane trap. Poor little critters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( I feel bad about it... but if they would just stay outside, we'd all be happier. Especially me.

      Delete
  7. I can totally relate and sympathize with the mouse dilemma. How such a small creature can cause such anxiety and wasted energy, I still cannot comprehend! I, like you, blogged about the little bugger. http://www.30bythirty.ca/2012/12/samson.html

    ReplyDelete