Monday, January 7, 2013

I Resolve to Make Doable Resolutions.

Wow. That went by pretty quickly. 2012, I mean. Here we are another year older, and it feels like I got nothing done but laundry. And even that was iffy sometimes.

2013. Time for a fresh start. Time to make resolutions! The problem with resolutions being that, in general, I forget about them, then remember, and beat myself up for not doing them. Or they're so overwhelming that I don't know where to start, so I don't bother. So. First resolution: I resolve to tackle things in baby steps.

There will be no weight loss resolution this year. Sometimes I manage it, and sometimes I don't, but usually, I end up resenting the me who thought to write it down in the first place. And besides, the goal is really more about health. You know, being able to run after the children without needing a recovery period, that sort of thing. So: I resolve to eat less crap, and walk more.

I'm not going to resolve to "organise my life". That's kind of unrealistic, since my life tends to circle around other people. People who I can't really control, no matter what I write on the calendar, or emphatically yell at them while waving forgotten hats. So: I resolve to organise my dresser. It can be done.

It's all well and good to decide not to yell at the kids, but again, entirely impractical. I would have to be a saint. And I assure you, I am not. So: I resolve to work on being patient.


And the last one, the big one: I resolve that if I attain these goals, I will attempt to go one step further.

For example, once I've cut down on the crap, I will endeavour to add healthy things to my diet. Once I'm walking more, I'll (perhaps) give jogging a shot. Once I've finished with my dresser, I'll give the closet a shot. That sort of thing.

How about you? Have you made any resolutions for the year?


13 comments:

  1. I've resolved to try really hard not to have a breakdown when I go back to work in a few weeks. Whether or not it is doable is a bit questionable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( It's going to be tough, but you can do it! Just think about seeing that lovely baby again after a work day. :)

      Delete
  2. I resolve to read your blog more often...you crack me up! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you brain only repost the following over to our weblog?
    I've to ensure credit rating emerges where it is actually thanks. Have a great 1!
    My web page ; Genital Warts Cures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also resolve not to get genital warts.

      Delete
    2. I knew I left that comment there for a reason! Nothing like a badly written spam comment to remind us we don't want genital warts. :)

      (I'm still not quite sure what my credit rating has to do with them though...)

      Delete
    3. Oh my God. I just peed. Hilarious.

      Delete
  4. There was so much fabulous Canadian spelling in this post that I was distracted too much to see the actual goals.

    My goal is to spell like a Canadian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you need any help, neighbour. ;)

      Delete
  5. Those are really fabulous resolutions! Attainable and kind.

    My resolutions have to do with organization and writing. I want to finish writing and revising my novel, and I want to put up 6 blog posts per month. I also want to organize my house, since I think that chaos (even though a lot of it isn't visible so long as you don't open doors and drawers) impedes my writing. So far, I'm doing pretty well! My new best friend is Freedom, an internet blocking software. When I feel the need to procrastinate, and the internet it blocked, I usually start cleaning. It's kind of weird and wonderful so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like all of those! I'm really hoping that the one about the dresser evolves further to encompass closets and cupboards...

      I can't wait to read your six posts a month! :)

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of doable goals! I read somewhere recently about not setting a weight loss target amount because it makes us crave after that number and since it takes a long time to see results that target number just seems unreachable...and we often give up. The better way is just focus on changing behaviors, so your "eat less crap, walk more" is great! I've never been successful with weight loss goals, but I have definitely changed behaviour and lost weight.

    ReplyDelete