Monday, January 21, 2013

Please Do Not Feed the Animal.

You know those signs at the zoo? The ones that remind you not to feed the animals? Those are there because even if they're not really hungry, if you throw something tasty down to them, they'll eat it. They're on a strict diet, those animals, to make sure that they are getting what they need from their food.

Everyone who's ever tried to lose a bit of weight knows that it can be hard to try and control what you're eating. It's especially hard when you're someone who has trouble saying no to that cupcake, cookie, or second helping of pasta. Even harder when you're worried that you might offend someone.

I'm very polite. I like to make people happy. I like to let them know that I appreciate the things that they do for me. I eat the food they make.

A lot of times, the conversation goes like this:

Well Meaning Friend/Family: I made cookies/cake/muffins/bread! Would you like some?
Me: It looks delicious! I'll just have a small piece.
WMF: Oh... come on, I made a whole plate/cake/dozen! You'll love it! Have some more!
Me: No, really, I'm sort of trying to eat healthy...
WMF: *laugh* It's not going to kill you!
Me: Well, I'm trying to lose a bit of weight actually and...
WMF: *scoff* Oh please! You look fine! Here, have another one/bite/piece!
Me::Oh. Uhm... thanks. Okay.

So I need to tell you something: I need you to let me say no.

It doesn't even matter why it is that I'm trying to eat healthier. Whether it's because I've grown out of my only pair of real pants, or because I just want to feel better, or because I want to be able to run around after my children without yelling at them to stop because Mummy can't breathe - I want to eat healthier, and I need your support.

I know that you're offering these treats out of the goodness of your heart, because you know that I'll enjoy them. I really do appreciate that.

But please; Stop feeding this animal.





12 comments:

  1. Good luck with the eating healthy! After the holidays is especially bad I find as others try to unload their excess baked goods. Delicious, delicious baked goods.
    This post makes me glad I already finished the homemade fudge last week. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. our family is really good for that huh? I'll keep all the cookies/cakes/yummy stuff to myself.. ya know.. for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... I'm not saying don't *offer*... you know, just don't *push*.

      Delete
  3. Having the small piece is the perfect response, you know? Because it allows you to acknowledge their generosity and hard work, and to take part in the fun of eating. To press more on you when you've politely said you're trying to eat more mindfully, that's not cool. I wonder what makes them do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly think they're trying to be nice; they know that I'd enjoy what they're offering. They also probably don't realise how hard it is for me to say no in the first place. :\

      Delete
  4. It gets tricky with baked goods. I haven't made cookies this year because I don't want 20+ cookies in the house. I will eat them all! It is really hard for me to say no to yummy things, so asking two or three more times actually drives me crazy because it took all my energy to say no to the first time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I have issues with food - it's sooooo hard for me to say no to treats. :( Leave it on a table in front of me, and I may not even notice that I'm eating it. I didn't do any Christmas baking this year, save things that were leaving the house the next day.

      Delete
  5. I never met a cookie I didn't like. I should probably just stay inside & not answer the door until I drop 10 pounds.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol.. that's the problem with cookies, they're so dang charming.

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  6. My husband does this to me.

    Then again, we're in a weight-loss challenge against each other.

    ReplyDelete